Droid 1 replacement shipping from Memphis?

LOL Egg looks like we got our phones taken at the same time.

I went in about 5:00 PM yesterday, and Motorola had shipped it out by 7. Overnight. Now it's waiting in the FedEx office for me.

The rep said overnight but it was shipped 2 day with delivery by 7:00 PM. I had it shipped to my employer so I'm hoping it comes by 5 else I'll be putting in a little OT whether I like it or not.

3 days without my phone has taught me that I'm now a smart phone addict, I'm having serious withdrawals and have found myself playing with my dead Droid, hoping against all odds that it would mysteriously repair itself.

Where is your d1 replacement being shipped to?

PA

Good news for me, kind of. In my infinite playing I banged on my phone like Archie Bunker, a couple of good whacks on the side, and it's working. Dang, I just spent 2 days in Orlando and could have been playing with my phone instead of paying attention at meetings.

Now what do I tell Verizon???

Good to hear that the phone restarted but I, myself, would probably be cautious. I have had a devil of a time with my replacement phones, but this issue with the phone not being able to power-up seems substantial.

I functioned for 9 months without a working headphone jack and trying to address this problem led me into a hornet's nest.

1st replacement - the slider was actually able to rotate. Returned the next day, phone arrived in 4 days (1st time ever getting warranty replacement on ANYTHING!)

2nd replacement - slider is unable to lock in the home position - not a big problem but my redraw lag is 15 seconds, so everytime it moves a centimeter, 15 seconds of lag follows.

3rd replacement - didn't even make it out of the Verizon store - 2mm gap between keyboard slider and the body, so the slider was too loose. It was sent back

Now I'm waiting for my 4th replacement and Verizon rep email insults me by suggesting I buy a refurbished replacement, one of which is a droid 1 for 290.00

These nightmare issues aside, when the warranty goes, you're left without recourse if the power issues return. You get a new 90-day warranty with each new replacement, so it might be a little painful but still the wiser way to go. Then again, I've had to re-do my entire phone 3 times already, so I'm paying the price. Hope this helps.

Memphis equals FedEx home location and Memphis airport is the main hub for FedEx. FedEx does most, if not all of the warehousing of merchandise for Verizon. This warehousing is common with large companies and allows them to use contract companies (FedEx) to house and ship their equipment to customers. (UPS does the same for other companies.)

I believe FedEx has warehouses across the country.

This just goes to show you how different reps operate.

Recently, the screen on my D1 started going nuts. The right side was completely unresponsive, and the rest of the screen would register touch in the wrong location. A quick trip to VZW, and they ordered me a CLNR in less than 10 minutes.

When the CLNR came, the keyboard was already peeling. Another 10 minute phone call to VZW, and they offered me a D2 upgrade and apologized profusely for the peeling keyboard. I honestly would have continued with the D1, as long as I got a decent phone.

I dont know of this is SOP, but if you get shut down by a rep and you truly feel like you're playing their game and jumping through their hoops, call again and see if you can get another rep.

Remember to be nice and appreciative -- it will carry you miles.

I have to chime in, I am awaiting my first warranty replacement (should be here tomorrow) from Texas. My touch screen on the D1 was acting crazy and the middle of the bottom of the screen is not registering contact. Anyway, the phone rep upgraded me to the droid2, because D1 was out of stock, and so were the DX. Hopefully I will like the D2.

Memphis equals FedEx home location and Memphis airport is the main hub for FedEx. FedEx does most, if not all of the warehousing of merchandise for Verizon. This warehousing is common with large companies and allows them to use contract companies (FedEx) to house and ship their equipment to customers. (UPS does the same for other companies.)

I believe FedEx has warehouses across the country.

RETG has your answer. If you are shipping Fedex it saves a lot of miles if the warehouse is in Memphis. Most Fedex packages come through here.

Here is a cool video on a time lapse of a days routes of Fedex planes.
[video=youtube;CzsXqawswPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzsXqawswPc[/video]

UPS definitely does the same thing with WorldPort in Knoxville. I'm not sure if FedEx does this or not but UPS not only stockpiles merchandise & parts near WorldPort but also operates repair facilities for tech companies so that equipment coming in for repair can be quickly received and shipped back out. If, for example, you've shipped a laptop in for repair, odds are pretty good that a UPS employee did the work.

Last edited:
My replacement is on the truck and I'm torn...

If the backlight, if indeed it was the backlight, went out once who's to say it won't happen again.

My screen went blank for 3 days and nothing I did made it light up. Last night I banged it against my hand pretty hard a few times and it lit up and has been working fine since. I've tried to bang it a few more times and it still works, hmmm. I had the phone since the day after launch, I get corporate phones and they have to be mailed, and it has performed flawlessly. I've read so many horror stories about refurbs that I'm inclined to think I may be better off keeping my phone and hope that it doesn't go blank permanently in the future than accepting a shoddily refurbed item.

UPDATE:
Got my POS Droid 1 refurb today :(

The slider is really wobbly and the phone wont send any texts out!!
Also the volume on the headset is very low, and its turned all the way up!

Looks like im calling VZW today! 3 droids in 2 months!
Unacceptable.

Yeah, same thing with mine.. except this will be my second replacement in two days.. if this one isn't up to par I'm gonna ask for an upgrade.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Yup, the replacement VZ sent me is in pretty bad shape as well. Small, very small, scratch on screen, slider is sh!t and the phone looks as if it's never had a case on it. Mine has been cased and had a screen protector on it from day one and has always been pampered, no way am I giving that up for someone else's beater. I'd rather take my chances with my phone than exchange it for the POS that was sent to me.

edit: If I have more than a few weeks left on my warranty I'm going to take my chances, at least I know what I have with my phone.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with refurbs in the past.. from vzw or att.. this is the first bad refurb i've ever had.. but this is also my first droid refurb.. all others have been flip or "brick" styled phones.. i didn't have to worry about touch screens or sliders.

UPDATE-

Called VZW and talked to a supervisor... after a lot of complaining he agreed to put in an order for a brand new droid!
Now I just have to wait for his call back because his manager has to approve it :icon_eek:

I've never had a problem with refurbs in the past.. from vzw or att.. this is the first bad refurb i've ever had.. but this is also my first droid refurb.. all others have been flip or "brick" styled phones.. i didn't have to worry about touch screens or sliders.

Same with me.
All my blackberrys and other T-Mobile phones were flawless.

Same with me.
All my blackberrys and other T-Mobile phones were flawless.

I'm pretty cheap and have purchased refurbished items in the past, DeWalt, Bosch and Dyson to name a few and have never had an issue, all have been as good as new and if the price is right I'll take a refurb over new any day (However, after today I'll not purchase a refurb from VZ unless I can get a 100% refund). The "Certified Like New" they sent me is anything but. It looks like they put a new frame around the glass and with exception of a small scratch the glass looked pretty good. The horizontal rubber piece by the camera lens has a couple of small chunks missing, the gold mesh by the battery cover looks like it was bent and re-straightened and what really bothers me is that the inside of the battery compartment is really cruddy. Makes me wonder what the heck the previous owner did with his/her phone to get the inside of the battery compartment dirty. build date on the phone sent is 14/10 mine is something like 42/09 and is in far better shape than the "Certified Like New" they sent me.

I would be really P!$$ed right now if I didn't get my phone working. I haven't discussed this with VZ as I'm at work but I'm thinking I'll just keep my phone and hope that whatever made the screen go blank for 3 days doesn't happen again, but I'm sure I'm on borrowed time.

Last edited:
Back