Droid 1 getting very hot. How to sense internal temp? How high is safe?

djk_dnb

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that my Droid 1 is heating up way more than usual lately and I don't mean a little warm, I mean seriously hot! This occurs when doing something so simple as using the stock browser, nothing really intense for the cpu. Although I expected the heat to be eminating from the battery, the bulk of the heat seems to be coming from the area to the right of the camera. So, I'm wondering, how hot is safe for my processor, and how can I tell how hot it is? Is there an app I can use to monitor the internal temperature? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

xSZYDx

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that my Droid 1 is heating up way more than usual lately and I don't mean a little warm, I mean seriously hot! This occurs when doing something so simple as using the stock browser, nothing really intense for the cpu. Although I expected the heat to be eminating from the battery, the bulk of the heat seems to be coming from the area to the right of the camera. So, I'm wondering, how hot is safe for my processor, and how can I tell how hot it is? Is there an app I can use to monitor the internal temperature? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

mine gets ridiculously hot as well. in the same spot. it can get in excess of 105 degrees farenheit. it concerns me as welll :/

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Interesting ... I use TempMonitor to check my device temps, but I think with the froyo builds it depends on the kernel as to whether or not you can get the CPU temp.
As far as "safe" temp goes I've heard above 120 degrees is when you should worry about damage.
I know your not overclocking, but this thread is loaded with good info

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
the chips are rated to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. i dont usually let mine go over 125. as long as you aren't to high for and excessive amount of time then you should be ok.

OP
D

djk_dnb

Reaction score
I also manuallyupdated to 2.2, no root. It does seem to me that this new rise in temperature is somehow related, but I'm certainly not sure.

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
OP
D

djk_dnb

Reaction score
Thanks, Everyone, for your replies.

I've decided to go with a free App from the market called, "BatteryLife". It's a widget that monitors the condition and status of my battery, as well as display the ambient temperature of my phone. It seems that all temp sensor apps so far are only monitoring the battery temp, but this will at least give me some idea of what what's going on in there. I really felt like I could fry an egg on my Droid today and that really had me worried seeing as how what I was doing was putting minimal strain on it and yet, it was hotter than I could remember it ever being.

My plan is to keep it under about 130F so as not to have this thing burst into a ball of flames in my hand.

Troops2990

Reaction score
I have a non-rooted, all stock D1 (2.1) and while looking at random pages through dolphin hd my battery temp will be around 112-118 F. Don't know if thats normal but i'm starting to think that it may be normal.

gerend

Reaction score
My Heat Issues

Today, running SS4.7 (Froyo), with the 1.0GHz LV kernel. Running SetCPU with temperature profiles set up to passively update (to save battery).

I had my phone in my car dock and hooked up to the (genuine Motorola) car charger. The car dock app was running, and I was running Trapster. I always knew that app to be power hungry, but this time it was too much...The battery started at > 90% when I started driving, and within 1/2 hour my overheat profile kicked in (temp was up to 138F). That was well above my 125F setpoint, so I guess the passive polling just didn't catch it in time.

Also noticed that by this time the battery was drawn down to 60%! So Trapster was using FAR more juice than even the charger can provide! I knew it was crazy with the GPS usage, but between GPS and updating the map it was turning my Droid into a nuclear "NEW-cue-lurr" fusion device! Good thing I had SetCPU profiles enabled, or I would have fried my Droid!

My advice is to use GPS-intensive apps VERY sparingly, and if you must, crank down the clock speed as much as you can tolerate (I will be UNDERCLOCKING to 400MHz or even 250MHz if I ever run Trapster again). And ALWAYS run SetCPU with temp profiles, even if your ROM will "take care of the clock speed for you"