Downloading videos and other files from Droid to my cpmputer

ltasseff

Reaction score
Am a recent Droid owner. Wish to download or move videos, pictures to my computer. I have it connected through a USB port already, but computer isn't reading my phone nor is there a Share option to copy or move files. How is that done?

nateccnn

Reaction score
You have to mount your SD Card or the computer won't see the card as a disk drive. In the status bar you see an icon that indicates USB is conected. Drag the staus bar down and you'll see the option to mount the SD card. Froyo 2.2 changed the terminolgy to "Turn on USB Storage" which makes a lot more sense to a new user. But if you're on 2.1 then you have to learn the lingo. Bummer, huh.

Another soltution worth looking into for moving files from phone to PC and vice versa...DROPBOX. Look for it in the market. TRhe free version allows you to store 2GB. A paid version allows more data. I use the free version and have not exceeded the limits yet. Nice thing about DXropbox is, no USB cord. It moves files to a server so the PC and the Smartphone see the files. Cloud Computing at it's best.

Nate

OP
L

ltasseff

Reaction score
Oh yeah, do I have to switch the card status back where it was or am I good to go?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
It is always a good idea to unmount the card before disconnecting. I have seen cards get corrupted before (not in Droids, but why take the chance).

sunshineman68

Reaction score
Transferring a video

I am new at this but I took some pics and a video yesterday and want to transfer them from my Droid to my laptop and I was successful in getting my pics into Picassa, but my movie did not transfer, just the first shot of the video transferred as a regular picture. I seen your post about "dropbox" and the part about learning the language of 2.1 which I do believe I have. So is there an easy way to get this movie transferred or should I use what you have mentioned earlier, thanks.................................

eyexam

Reaction score
You have to mount your SD Card or the computer won't see the card as a disk drive. In the status bar you see an icon that indicates USB is conected. Drag the staus bar down and you'll see the option to mount the SD card. Froyo 2.2 changed the terminolgy to "Turn on USB Storage" which makes a lot more sense to a new user. But if you're on 2.1 then you have to learn the lingo. Bummer, huh.

Another soltution worth looking into for moving files from phone to PC and vice versa...DROPBOX. Look for it in the market. TRhe free version allows you to store 2GB. A paid version allows more data. I use the free version and have not exceeded the limits yet. Nice thing about DXropbox is, no USB cord. It moves files to a server so the PC and the Smartphone see the files. Cloud Computing at it's best.

Nate
Hmm, not sure what I did wrong- that didn't work for me. I took several pics at the Padres game and a video. The pics show up fine but the video doesn't transfer over (not even an option!).
Bummed....

sunshineman68

Reaction score
can't find a place to add video to Dropbox

In response to nateccnn, I have downloaded Dropbox on my computer and it is on my Droid, on my Droid I can highlight the video, but I can't seem to find a way to put the video into Drop box, so I can get it to my laptop. I have tried to find a way to 'drop' the video in dropbox, but even when I have the video highlighted, I can't seem to find a button/link to actually move the video to Dropbox. I guess I am missing something basic here, but I would appreciate some help................

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is always a good idea to unmount the card before disconnecting.
Specifically, via your PC to ensure that's done with whatever it's doing with the card. You have the option to unmount from the Droid itself but the Droid has no idea what you're PC is or isn't doing with the SD card.

eyexam

Reaction score
When you open Dropbox on your Droid, just click on you "Menu" button; one of the options that comes up is "Upload"; click on that and find the type of file you want to add. It will find those files and you just pick one....

Jeff

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Are these videos in high resolution 720? I'm not sure they can be sent OTA. I thought they had to be done via USB, is this still true?