Download speeds

cutiedroid

Reaction score
What is the download speed connected to a hotspot supposed to be? I'm trying to download a 672MB file and my download speed is, at the moment, 25.6Kbps/sec. This is slower than even my DSL ever was. The thing is the speed started at only 43Kbps and dropped off. It has even dropped lower at this point. I'm sure this isn't normal, but what can I do?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums using SlideIT

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
BUMPITY-BUMP! Please guys and gals, this is a serious question. I was trying to download a
Microsoft Office (paid for) upgrade and I just didn't have the speed to complete it. Is there anything I can do? This upgrade is on a DVD-less notebook computer and at the moment I van buy a little DVD USB machine, but if really like up upgrade it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

rusty815

Reaction score
that is definitely slow, ive gotten almost 2mb/sec out of my global when tethered to my laptop, whats your signal strength and what are you using to tether?

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
that is definitely slow, ive gotten almost 2mb/sec out of my global when tethered to my laptop, whats your signal strength and what are you using to tether?

See here's where I'm kinda confused about these smartphones. Do I really have to tether if I have a hotspot? I mean I just turn on the hotspot on the 'phone and the wireless on the notebook and away I go. Is this the same as tethering? I don't know why it's so slow downloading this particular app when downloads from the Market do it at totally respectable speeds. They're not 650MB, but still.

rusty815

Reaction score
yeah, hotspot can be considered wireless tethering, do you use the stock verizon 3g hotspot app?

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Yes I do. Is there something better than the stock 3g? I've seen the 3g apps on the Marketplace but I wasn't sure if they were something that I could use or not.