Don't forget about Verizon's Droid Eris

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
vzw-droid-HTCEris.jpg

Verizon has focused all of it's attention on the Motorola Droid release tomorrow, but don't forget about another Verizon Droid phone that should not be over looked. The HTC Droid Eris will also be in Verizon stores tomorrow with a much cheaper price tag and some of the same features. The phone is essentially Verizon's version of Sprint's HTC Hero.

Features:
5 Megapixel Camera
3.2-inch Capacitive Display
WiFi, 3.5mm Headphone Jack
microSD expansion up to 16GB
Price: $99.99 on contract after a $100 mail-in rebate

What it doesn't have that the Motorola Droid does: Physical Keyboard, Faster Processor, Android 2.0, High-Res Display

Join our discussions in the HTC Eris Forum

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a cool side by side pic of the first Verizon Droid Phones!

motoroladroid-htceris.jpg

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I would consider the Eris if it had Android 2.0 out of the box. The HTC Hero has already been announced to be getting the upgrade to 2.0 so the Eris probably will too, but I am unwilling to take that chance.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want the high res screen and Android 2.0 (which has the navigation feature while earlier versions don't), so it's the Droid ftw for me.

CarbineGuy

Reaction score
I tried the Eris. It's pretty nice, but I like the feel of the droid and it's larger screen. Typing on the Eris was a bit more difficult for me too.

G

Grimster

Droid is too big IMO. The Eris feels soooooo good in your hand, much more pocketable and can do anything the Driod can plus it has pinch zoom and a better camera. Yes I bought the Eris. I dont care if the Droid has a faster CPU, I can wait the extra second or two for my webpage to load. Big deal....

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Yes.... You'll soon forget you ever looked at one...

Why substitute the AWESOME POWER OF THE DROID...

Pony up your childs piano lessons for the upgrade... You'll both be happier...

Jason

Reaction score
Droid is too big IMO. The Eris feels soooooo good in your hand, much more pocketable and can do anything the Driod can plus it has pinch zoom and a better camera. Yes I bought the Eris. I dont care if the Droid has a faster CPU, I can wait the extra second or two for my webpage to load. Big deal....

I think the droid is a perfect size with great screen resolution. The droid eris has google navigation? pinch zoom? I can use doube tap big deal. The camera is good enough also

souljerr

Reaction score

I think the droid is a perfect size with great screen resolution. The droid eris has google navigation? pinch zoom? I can use doube tap big deal. The camera is good enough also

Choices - that's the key. It all depends on what fits best for you as the user. I love the Droid but realize it's not for everyone.

Jason

Reaction score

Choices - that's the key. It all depends on what fits best for you as the user. I love the Droid but realize it's not for everyone.

Agreed. I love my Droid but everyone has different taste

Hector1959

Reaction score
HTC Eris

I'll get the Eris for my wife when she qualifies for one. I got the Droid but the Eris really feels nice in your hand. I dont think you can go wrong with either one.

SlamDroid

Reaction score
Totally loving the A855 Droid. Checked the HTC, but it kinda felt like a toy to me. I think maybe it's the joy of having the QWERTY keyboard! That, and the fact that this Motorola feels like a real piece of gear...very solid.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
For me the physical keyboard was a major requirement, too much trouble with certain activities (telnet/ssh sessions, etc.) on a virtual keyboard. It didn't help that the first time I heard that the Eris existed was when I walked up to the counter on launch day and had the salesman ask "which droid do you want?"

austinnadz

Reaction score
The HTC Eris has very comparable statistics and ratings to the Motorola Groid on cnet. you can look at them here:

HTC Eris: HTC Droid Eris (Verizon Wireless) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Motorola Droid: Motorola Droid (Verizon Wireless) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

The HTC Eris actually currently has a higher average user rating than the Motorola Droid... and of course the 100 dollar price tag to most people makes a ton of difference. So don't knock it just because it doesn't have 2.0 and the specs on paper don't look as good (I'd still go with the Motorola though!).