Doesn't get much harder then this :(

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
After putting down my first dog as an adult (he was 11-12) I vowed to never get another so I wouldn't have to go through that again. So my wife's dog which I only refer to Rosie as "her dog" because she had the shepard when we met, has been with us for 10 years and is 13.

Starting sometime last year she started having issues with her rear legs and it wasn't hip plasia (sp) because it was way too late and different symptoms. Well, after the hint came, I said no way am I taking her in. Well my wife wouldn't and her sister was here for Easter and said she would. Of coarse, after not being able to reach my wife, I got the call at work having to give the vet permission to put her to sleep (the dog, not my wife).

So long story short (I know, too late) I still can't believe how hard it is to lose a pet that has been such a huge part of our family. I can't help but think that my 3 yo shepard (the one I vowed to never get) knows something. When I got home from work he was much more spastic than normal.

Going to also be hard trying to explain to my 6.5 year old son (and maybe my 4 yo) why he came home today and Rosie is gone.

Anyway, thanks for letting me unload. Too bad nandroid doesn't work on pets.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bummer, that is tough.

As far as your kid, I believe in the truth.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the first thing Joann (the wife) said was to tell them she died (or something like that) and the first thing I said was to try and explain what really happened and why.

flyboy472

Reaction score
You don't realize how big a part of the family they are until they go. My cat passed away at home a few months ago, renal failure. She was only 7 so she definitely went earlier then expected.

This might seem a little corny but here it is anyway: <Rainbow Bridge>

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
two things... 1. wait a little while, and get another dog. you know it was worth it.

2. do NOT watch marley and me.... ever.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
AWWWWWW!!! i'm SO VERY, VERY SORRY for your loss bike!!! i just can't even tell you how bad i feel for you and your family :(

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
two things... 1. wait a little while, and get another dog. you know it was worth it.

I watched Marley and Me. I had such a hard time holding back the tears.

I would like to say to bike_guy that I do indeed sympathize. I've lost two members of my flock over the past two months. Smaller birds, a love bird and a parrotlett. I know how hard it can be on you to lose your babies.

I don't know if you smoke or not but have you ever considered owning a parrot? The reason I mention smoking is they can't survive long in a house where smoking is allowed, but the larger ones will live 60 to 80 years. They are highly intelligent, great fun and make wonderful companions.

That's the good side.

The bad side is They demand a lot of attention since they are so intelligent and there is no master/owner thing with birds. You've got to convince them you are the flock leader. They can be loud, have temper tantrums, and are indeed very messy.

You can find a nice African Grey that will live out it's life with you, provided you get it from a healthy breeder for about a thousand dollars. Proper nutrition is also a necessity, toys and food are more expensive then a dog. You can't feed them just seeds anymore.

More money, true, and I suggest if you do consider a parrot doing some extensive reading but they truly are wonderful companions.

Just thought I'd give you another avenue of thought about pet ownership. Again my condolences.

huskur

Reaction score
I know how you feel as it has happened to me also. Thing is, i have to go through it again. I have a 15 year old cocker/springer spaniel that is near her lifes end. I have a 5 year old son and 2 two year old girls (twins) that will greatly miss her. It's going to be hard on our entire family.

This dog is very different though. We got her when my wife and I first got together. She was 7 weeks old and near death. (parvo virus) So we had to give her intervenious fluid every time she went to sleep to keep from dehydration. This went on around the clock for several days. She finally came around. Like i said, that was 15 years ago. I can say though......its likely the BEST 15 years any pet could have.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Agree that is one evil movie...