Does froyo use more memory

y0manda

Reaction score
Since I have installed froyo my available memory has gone down to 30-40 mb. When I was running 2.1 I usually had 70+ MB free. Most of my apps or larger ones are on my sd card.

Darkseider

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter so don't fret. Look at this on your system and you will have an idea of how it is performing:

Go to: Settings --> Running Services and then look at the bottom bar.

* Avail: 38MB+114MB in 25 says that the device has 38MB of completely free (or likely used for unrequired caches) memory, and has another 114MB of available memory in 25 background processes it can kill at any time.
• Other: 32MB in 3 says that the device has 32MB of unavailable memory in 3 unkillable processes (that is, processes that are currently considered to be foreground and must be kept running)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I have installed froyo my available memory has gone down to 30-40 mb. When I was running 2.1 I usually had 70+ MB free. Most of my apps or larger ones are on my sd card.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how are you able to put your large apps on your SD card? I was able to do that with the second version of Froyo and using Terminal but when I tried it with this latest version it failed.

iamlost87

Reaction score

Other: 72 in 4
Avail: 26+ 35 in 11.

72 in non-killable tasks? This seems like a ton.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter so don't fret. Look at this on your system and you will have an idea of how it is performing:

I don't feel like that is entirely accurate. I have issues with some widgets and apps due to low memory, really depends on how android ranks and manages what it chooses to kill in low memory states. Could actually be a davlik vm issue and not truly system ram related.

Some of that may be Pete has BB set to keep 50 megs free, which may be too aggressive for me. I have to look around, but some other roms don't have that restriction but then other apps I'd "rank" lower end-up pushing out the ones I have issue with so the less aggressive ram mgmt does nothing for me.

I have to play around some to tweak it to get it just right. It's a real issue - as home themes, widgets and apps continue to take more ram (not to mention what new goodies Gingerbread will add) customizable ram mgmt becomes more critical.

Would be nice to see an app to take this over that would let you rank order services and apps, and maybe even add options for a one-at-a-time waiting list with the ability to have global update features (i.e. I have a number of news services and widgets, and rather than have a bunch try to run at once forcing Android to kill other programs to free memory , I would like to have them override any individual settings to update, one-at-a-time, every 3 hours or so).

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Well if you want to dynamically control memory you could always download MinFree. It is a free app and allows you to tweak memory settings to try and get it to where you think they should be. That doesn't necessarily mean the phone will work right but you can tweak away.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well if you want to dynamically control memory you could always download MinFree. It is a free app and allows you to tweak memory settings to try and get it to where you think they should be. That doesn't necessarily mean the phone will work right but you can tweak away.

Thanks for the tip! Will give it a shot. But you are probably right that it is more an issue with individual apps not being programmed 100% correctly and just the simple fact that I have too much stuff pushing limits.

peteypauls

Reaction score
I had around 75MB in 4 in "Other:" and I realized a couple of things. First, LauncherPRO is about 20mb of that (which seems like a very big amount). If you uncheck keep in memory in LauncherPro, you will see that number goes down to around 53MB in 3 and puts that 20mb memory in the background processes. I believe the 3 in Other are now the necessary: Android System, Dialer and Process.acore, but I could be wrong. In any event, I now have:

57MB in Other Avail:22MB and 29 in 3. This says to me that since the phone has 256MB, then the ROM itself takes up 148MB...256-(57+22+29). So that seems to be the issue. I am sure Eclair was less but don't know by how much.

I have changed my LauncherPro settings to Very Low, homescreen cache and prevent force close, while taking out the keep in memory. We'll see how that goes, but so far that has completely stopped my lag issue after waking up form charging in the dock.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Using Froyo with tweaked native task manager settings, I keep around 80-100 mb of RAM free most of the time. Haven't noticed a difference from 2.1.