does anyone here use a mac to root?

portermac

Reaction score
I am trying to find a good tutorial to root my droid 2.1 using a mac. I heard its not going to be the same as a pc. I have looked for a few days but all i found was bits and pieces from late last year which i dont trust. Im sure there are several of you that are masters of a mac. Anyway you could tell me where to go would be a great help.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Ive been told on this site that VMware has to be installed on your Mac so you can run Windows programs. All of the programs that you have to download to be able to Root are PC based.
I''ve also heard that its a lengthly process, but not hard.

I've decided that i'll probably wait until I can find a friend with one that I can use. Also with 2.2 around the corner, and possibly the Droid 2...those might be a reason to wait as well.

If you decide that your going to root anyway, LMK. Good Luck

Dan_08

Reaction score
I've looked too...
From what I've found you have to download the Vmware (trial) then download windows (trial) and it will work that way. I will try it out if the 2.2 updates doesn't come out by July.

But if you find a way post it for the rest of us.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To root, actually yes. To install SPRecovery, no.

Here's the deal. You can't run a virtual machine and install RSD Lite and the correct drivers. You probably can if you have boot camp and a copy of Windows installed. Virtual machines like VMware do not work.

What I did was installed SPRecovery on my phone using my wife's PC. I ran SPRecover and did a back up (computer not necessary). Then I took the file I had downloaded on my Mac for the second version of Froyo, placed it in the Nandroid Folder via my Mac. After taking it off mount I did a restore of the Froyo file and it rooted my Droid at that time. Up until install of Froyo my phone was not rooted.

So technically yes, I rooted my Droid with my Mac.

You can also just root your Droid by downloading DMupdater. That's available at DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does..

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
The DMupdater looks relatively easy to do. Sorta like when I did a manual update to 2.1.
Quick question, can you use DMupdater if you have 2.1?

I found a link that pretty much shows you step for step, but it looks like it was made for Stock 2.0 Droids. http://www.nexeo.net/?p=384

If you get a chance Hookbill please review it and let us know if its up to date or not.

Last edited:
OP
P

portermac

Reaction score
Glad to hear i wasnt the only one with a mac, thanks y'all.

I also was going to see if it was ok to install SPRecovery but not root yet. Find out how 2.2 is gonna be and if im not happy with it I'll be ready. Any problems with that?

johall07

Reaction score
ive done everything there is to do root wise with a mac and havent once had to use vmware its all the same

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
ive done everything there is to do root wise with a mac and havent once had to use vmware its all the same

Well since you used a mac, what steps did you take? Did you have to go back to stock 2.0, then root? The files that are available for download to root can be used on a Mac?

justreboot

Reaction score
sorry / like the others using vm ware / you may also be able to use virtual box / it's free from sun/ if you have an iso of xp or a vli install or of curse, an original xp install cd you can install the tools req'd to root...

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

So you have been able to use RSD lite on your Mac? We've tried several times without success.

Mike

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted my Droid with a Mac, but that was back when 2.01 was out and it was easy. Give Parallels a try if you haven't already. I like it much better than VW. If the virtual programs don't work, BootCamp is free and should work.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used my Mac Book Pro to root my Droid. However, like JhankG, I had 2.0.1 installed and used Matth3W's tutorial. Frankly, I would have preferred going back to 2.0.1 to root then flash a 2.1 rom. Life was easier. I never understood why that process fell by the wayside.

Mike