Do people not know how to use their phone/ use this forum? - rant

Zozz

Reaction score
Every time I log into the forum I see relentless amount of threads with the simplest of issues. For sure, I would love to help out people to take care of issues on their Droid, it makes the fanbase larger and happier. But it seems like so many people don't know how to take a second to really look into their phone and how it works.

I see so many people complaining and ranting about features that are lacking on the phone, and when I test it out I usually find it by going into the Menu section.

Example: "You can't set ringtones for individuals", I seen it a lot and I responded to only one. This also flows into the matter of how unorganized the forum is, There are dozens of topics relating to the same issue.

Before I make a post, I always search first. It seems people don't know why there are different types of sub-forums. Still, there's people who'll just join to get a quick answer to an issue and never post again, they'll just post wherever.

Now I guess I'm lucky; the only real problems I've had were youtube issues that were solved with a little tinkering and something else on my end. It just feels that people don't make an effort to "understand" their phone.

Screw it, I'm gonna go :lifting:

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
OK, so it was a smart a** response.

The reality is many people find it easier to go to a forum and type in "how do I" than to either RTFM or just experiment on their own with something sitting right in front of them. It's true of phones, it's true of computers, it's true of motorcycles, heck it's probably even true of toasters.

Just the way it is.

Edited to add: Oh, and some people are just stupid :D

Last edited:

wil318466

Reaction score
Its not a big deal.. sometimes its just easier to post a question.

Besides, one day the questions will end, and this forum will die. Might as well use it while its there. And, personally I don't mind answering even the simplest questions.

-Wil

skiahh

Reaction score
Every time I log into the forum I see relentless amount of threads with the simplest of issues. For sure, I would love to help out people to take care of issues on their Droid, it makes the fanbase larger and happier. But it seems like so many people don't know how to take a second to really look into their phone and how it works.

I see so many people complaining and ranting about features that are lacking on the phone, and when I test it out I usually find it by going into the Menu section.

Example: "You can't set ringtones for individuals", I seen it a lot and I responded to only one. This also flows into the matter of how unorganized the forum is, There are dozens of topics relating to the same issue.

Before I make a post, I always search first. It seems people don't know why there are different types of sub-forums. Still, there's people who'll just join to get a quick answer to an issue and never post again, they'll just post wherever.

Now I guess I'm lucky; the only real problems I've had were youtube issues that were solved with a little tinkering and something else on my end. It just feels that people don't make an effort to "understand" their phone.

Too bad we can't all be as smart as you.

OP
Zozz

Zozz

Reaction score

Too bad we can't all be as smart as you.
How is intelligence relevant to the issue? If you're intellectually incapable of using the phone, you wouldn't have it. It just relates to the issue of dependency of others to solve issues. I for one love to try out thing first then seek help.

It doesn't hurt either doing a forum or Google search. It keeps the number of threads down and we can have more in depth analysis into problems if you have one thread dedicated per problem.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Zozz this is the nature of the beast. When any new device is released it is inevitiable to go through this on forums. As things settle in it will not be as bad.

But you have to remember there are A LOT of first time users here and not everybody is prone to use the search function and they are overwhelmed with the device and want answers yesterday. I agree that people should use it but they don't.

So just roll with it for now. It will settle down as everybody gets acquainted with the device. The mods can't be all over the place neither this place is crazy big and busy...

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Zozz this is the nature of the beast. When any new device is released it is inevitiable to go through this on forums. As things settle in it will not be as bad.

But you have to remember there are A LOT of first time users here and not everybody is prone to use the search function and they are overwhelmed with the device and want answers yesterday. I agree that people should use it but they don't.

So just roll with it for now. It will settle down as everybody gets acquainted with the device. The mods can't be all over the place neither this place is crazy big and busy...

Yes, I totally agree with you Cereal. It's a jungle out there I tell ya ! :p

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
This kid gets upset very easily.
There's always someone new to forums who thinks they've made this unique obervation. Happens on every forum I've ever visited.
Ill leave you to your complaining. ;)

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Or........the phone just came out, and it comes with next to no direction on it's use. I'm not an unintelligent person, especially when it comes to technology, but as of right now, there isn't a lot of basic information on it.

As example, I'd like to set a personal picture as my wallpaper. I have searched the homepage forum and found some basics, but I have yet to find which folder pictures have to be in for the phone to recognize as wallpaper.

Sometimes it's not a matter of looking, but patience in looking.

On that note, does anyone know of a comprehensive tutorial with more than the basics?