Do I need to update bootloader?

JonnyFb421

Reaction score
I have a preproduction Droid X that is unable to boot. I can get to recovery mode, but the factory reset doesn't do anything(expected). I've attempted to use RSD Lite v4.9, however I've been getting various errors. I first received
Code:
Critical Error:
After a long 2 minutes of searching I was pretty sure that sbf was for the Moto Droid. I then tried to use the sbf in Happy_Holidays_From_TBH.zip, however I keep getting "Failed Flashing process. (0x7100)". I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess I am failing because I have bootloader 12.01 instead of 30.xx. Does anyone has the name (I've read the rules, I'm not expecting a link) of a .sbf that would work with this phone, or is it possible to flash a new version of bootloader if there is no compatible .sbf?

Also note: I currently cannot charge my phone. It's more fun when we're on a time limit anyway!

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can use the 2.3.340 full SBF file, it should update the bootloader to 30.04, if it doesn't you can use the TBH mbm updater to update the bootloader. I wouldn't do this in the other order though. PM incoming.

OP
J

JonnyFb421

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply! Unfortunately I am still receiving "Failed Flashing process. (0x7100)".
This was generated in the error log:
Code:
19:53:26,  April 25, 2011
Line: 868
ERROR: \\?\c:\vrz_mb810_2.3.34_1ff_01.sbfÿÿ‚qyvñryv½ó was not found.
File: D:\GitProjects2\hdt_windows_flash\flash\code\flashdll\PST_FP_FlashFileIO.cpp

19:53:26,  April 25, 2011
Line: 552
ERROR: The superfile specified does not exist
File: D:\GitProjects2\hdt_windows_flash\flash\code\flashdll\FlashHdlr.cpp
Device ID: 0

if it doesn't you can use the TBH mbm updater to update the bootloader.

I'm unfamiliar with this, but I'll look into that right now.

OP
J

JonnyFb421

Reaction score
From my understanding I rename Bootloader_30.04_updater.zip to update.zip, throw it on the SD card, and boot to clockwork recovery. The problem is I can not get into clockwork recovery, I can only get into the default recovery screen where I get stuck at signature verification. Not sure what to do now :frown:.

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You have to SBF to .340 then root then update the bootloader.
check out 1KDStaz0.8 for a different way to SBF

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
any luck yet?

OP
J

JonnyFb421

Reaction score
Wow 1KDStaz0.8 looks like an amazing tool! Unfortunately it didn't do the trick for me :(. It made it to the end of the script with no errors, but when my phone restarted it was still bootloader v12.01 and still stuck in the boot loop.

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's pretty strange, I'll see if I can find anything out about that old bootloader for ya

OP
J

JonnyFb421

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll let you know if I make any progress.

OP
J

JonnyFb421

Reaction score
Finally able to get RSD working (Downgraded to 4.7 w/ patch, placed .sbf inside the RSD installation directory instead of C:\) however I've had the same result as I had with 1KDStaz0.8. I've tried VRZ_MB810_1.13.6.2_1FF_01.sbf, VRZ_MB810_2.3.15_1FF_01.sbf, and VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf all which tell me PASS but after the phone reboots there are no changes. I cannot view my battery life and I'm starting to worry a few more failed attempts and it may die mid-installation... Not that we have much to lose at this point

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I sent a message to p3droid. I figured if anyone knew anything about this preproduction bootloader it would be him, awaiting response.

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, he replied and said he had heard of that early bootloader and that there is a specific way to update to the current builds, waiting more instructions.

OP
J

JonnyFb421

Reaction score
Thanks for the update and on-going support, I appreciate it!

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
He said he knows what you have but the files needed to resurrect it are not available. I think your best bet would be to call moto directly and tell them you have a pre-production model, they may want it back and issue you a replacement.