Do I need to backup my nand if I only root it?

Backslash

Reaction score
I want to root my Droid x, and that is all I'm doing. I won't need to backup my nand for that will I?

I won't be doing anything else with it.

Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to root my Droid x, and that is all I'm doing. I won't need to backup my nand for that will I?

I won't be doing anything else with it.

Thanks.

Just to root, no I wouldn't worry about it. If you later decide to install a custom rom then do a back up.

OP
Backslash

Backslash

Reaction score
Ok. Cause I rooted mine a while ago, but I just rooted my uncle's and I was worried that I should have backed it up so if something happens he won't have to worry about it.

But I figured I wouldn't need a backup.

maderschramm

Reaction score
I would not recommend what hookbill said. ALWAYS backup your phone post-root. Every time. That way if you do mod it, something goes wrong, even if you want to go back to a different way your home screen is set up, a backup is of vital importance.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
I would always advise to backup your phone when rooting. If you use z4 you should be safe but I like having a comfortable backup in place.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why root then? Just seems pointless to root just to say your phone is rooted.

And I recommend always doing a backup, modifying phone or not. Most likely you will start doing

small things just cause you can now, so it's best to be safe. But I still don't understand why you rooted.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you mean why just root? I ran stock but rooted for a couple of months & there are big performance gains to be had just from getting SU.

OP, backup every time you make a significant change. I can't recall how many times I thought I could get away with a simple metamorph change only to be greeted by a bootloop with no current backup.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
By having simple root access one will not experience a performance gain. Performance is gained by modifying Android. Root access does absolutely nothing.

As far as backups go. Its not necessary but certainly can't hurt. Once you start modifying your handset (flashing roms, themes etc) it is vital to backup as everyone has already pointed out.

Sent from my Droid

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I experienced a big performance gain on my set when I rooted. You could see it with the launcher smoothness instantly. Also my quadrant (I know quadrant sucks) scores went up by 200 or 300 without setcpu or a kernel change. It was not a placebo.

OP
Backslash

Backslash

Reaction score
My uncle only wanted Wifi Tether..... That's why....

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you mean why just root? I ran stock but rooted for a couple of months & there are big performance gains to be had just from getting SU.

OP, backup every time you make a significant change. I can't recall how many times I thought I could get away with a simple metamorph change only to be greeted by a bootloop with no current backup.

No, I meant why root...?

He states above he rooted for wifi tethering, now I know and it makes sense.

You on the other hand, do not make sense:) And I don't mean to be rude, really.

But you will not get better performance on a device by JUST rooting. This isn't something that

varies from device to device like battery performance. It does NOT give you better performance from you

having root access to system files. Some kind of tweeking needs to take place for improvement to phone.

ROM's, Overclocking and getting rid of bloatware to name a few.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Be rude I don't care but I'm not retarded. I didn't imagine the stock launcher swiping between screens without stutter or that quadrant number being 2x the unrooted total.

maderschramm

Reaction score
why are all these mods stating that backup isn't essential or necessary? it would make our life so much easier if it was just generally stated they are...I don't get it

arabstar1982

Reaction score
What is the best backup app to run in order to back up your phone after root? or is there a better way to back up the phone after root rather than using an app?