Do I need a Data plan for GPS

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm confused then with no signal how did I see the Google map, I assumed the normal map was loaded on the phone. Once I feel better (I been sick) and get the dirt bike back and am away from a cell tower again...I guess I'll have to check.

Now Google earth / satellite view I could see needing the connection...how many people actually use that view??? I know I do not.

It caches the last map you were looking at, but as soon as you zoom in or out, or change locations, you need to reload the map from a data connection. Aside from cache, the app stores no map data (since it's a huge and ever changing amount of data).

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
thanks to everyone

and in canada I bought it for the full price then unlocked to work with rogers.

The reason I thought it didn't need a data plan was because it uses my GPS location the it displays an image through my camera.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whether or not you need the data plan depends on the app(s) you intend to use.

For example, for GPS navigation in your car there are GPS nav apps such as Copilot that store map data on the SD card. If you're relying on a GPS app that needs data to download maps or other information then you, logically, need data.

The reason I thought it didn't need a data plan was because it uses my GPS location the it displays an image through my camera.
If all you need GPS for is to geotag photos then you don't need a data plan. Again, it depends on the requirements of the app(s) you intend to use. The receiver itself does not need the data plan to determine your latitude and longitude. GPS uses satellites (which are not accessed via a data plan but via the GPS receiver) to determine your location.

Last edited: