Do I make the plunge??

Foolish

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice. I currently have an iPhone 3gs jailbroken on AT&T. My wifes has verizon an her contract is up. She shares a plan with her mother. I am thinking about jumping ship from iPhone to verizon for a droid. I have read lots of reviews an have been following this forum on a daily basis. I am mind of skittish though.

I mean I love my iPhone. I love getting free apps through installous ( not saying I promote piracy but more of the fact that some apps I just wanna make sure are worth it) the lite versions only go so far. Pricing is a huge deal though. I mean for the price of my iPhone my wife and I can have two. Kind of crazy.

So I guess I'm asking is it worth it?? I have been reading about the htc passion and am wondering do i wait and hope for that or do I get the droid?? I'm so used to multi touch it would be weird with out it. I understand once Rooted it will be available but what about gestures? will that be supported to? The camera is another question I have a newborn so pictures are important do you guys think the camera will get better? Games and apps are not a huge seller but will the graphics of games get better? I compared for instance gangstar and NFL 2010 it seems to be nigt and day between the two.

Any help would be appreciated and let me know what you guys think and help convince me to switch lol.

Last edited:

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice. I currently have an iPhone 3gs jailbroken on AT&T. My wifes has verizon an her contract is up. She shares a plan with her mother. I am thinking about jumping ship from iPhone to verizon for a droid. I have read lots of reviews an have been following this forum on a daily basis. I am mind of skittish though.

I mean I love my iPhone. I love getting free apps through installous ( not saying I promote piracy but more of the fact that some apps I just wanna make sure are worth it) the lite versions only go so far. Pricing is a huge deal though. I mean for the price of my iPhone my wife and I can have two. Kind of crazy.

So I guess I'm asking is it worth it?? I have been reading about the htc passion and am wondering do i wait and hope for that or do I get the droid?? I'm so used to multi touch it would be weird with out it. I understand once Rooted it will be available but what about gestures? will that be supported to? The camera is another question I have a newborn so pictures are important do you guys think the camera will get better? Games and apps are not a huge seller but will the graphics of games get better? I compared for instance gangstar and NFL 2010 it seems to be nigt and day between the two.

Any help would be appreciated and let me know what you guys think and help convince me to switch lol.

I had an iphone since day 1 of the original release. I had att/cingular/ameritech wireless for what seems like 8 years. I loved the iphone and I am even a developer for a few apps.

That being said, I bought new service and the droid to check it out. The iphone seems to get more and more restrictive in app approval. I called verizon and had them port my number and cancel my att iphone line after 2 days. The multitouch is nice. But double clicking is easier. You will get used to it very quickly. The feel of this phone isnt as easy to find the power button, but its more solid. The screen is much more crisp.

The network is amazing as well. Data seems to connect faster that ATT, calls are way more crisp and I have yet to have one drop. It was a daily thing with att and I live in Detroit, one of their largest 3g networks.

I think if you come with an open mind to a droid youd love it. If you come looking for reasons to prefer the iphone you wont like it. Get one and try it out, you have 30 days. You can port your number at a later time if you decide to keep it.

As an app dev I do not promote piracy in any way. But I haven't paid for every song I have ever dl so I wont be all holier than thou. That being said, apps are just as easy to dl and install on the driod as they are on a JB iphone. I won't offer any advice on how to make this happen.

Newton122189

Reaction score
just so you know, in the android marketplace there is a 24 hour return policy, you said you like to use installous to test apps before you buy them, well with android you can purchase them and return them if you dont like them, and its legal

Newton122189

Reaction score
yeah, i used the return policy for better keyboard, better keyboard made it easier to text but the resolution was just too low to keep, so... i returned it, it was a piece of cake, you just find the app in the marketplace and it'll say "uninstall & return" as long as its within 24 hours, and from what i understand you can do it with any app

OP
F

Foolish

Reaction score
I def. plan on coming with an open mind. I guess it will just take some getting used to...I guess my biggest worry is buying it and maybe i should have waited. I keep reading about this passion coming out. I guess my biggest worry is the camera and how slow it is. Like I said I have a newborn and I use my phone a lot for pictures. Once rooted will a rom come out helping the camera? That is great that there is a 24 hour return policy. I had read about that but wasn't sure just how true it was. As a developer do you see the games graphics getting any better? I mean they are not very good on the android from what i have seen.

Randomocity

Reaction score
Wow +1 indeed.

I had no idea and I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm purchasing apps in the future. One more reason why I love my droid!

pkdesigns

Reaction score
i used to swear by iPhones/iPod touches, and I'm a HUGE mac fanboy. I run a mac for business needs, and would only buy apple products for the longest time.

My brother currently still uses his iPhone 3Gs and loves it. Although recently, his calls have been getting dropped all over the place (the amount of iPhones on AT&T is apparently sucking on their coverage bandwidth in lack of better words. My droid however, can do almost everything his iphone can, PLUS 5 more apps, PLUS a keyboard, PLUS a much better camera, AND I'm on verizon, meaning i really never drop calls :p

tl;dr to me, its VERY worth it, and I'm a huge mac fanboy

Newton122189

Reaction score
its actually even better than a refund really, its sort of phrased poorly, when i hit "uninstall & return" on better keyboard i got an email saying my order was cancelled so technically it never even removes your money, it actually cancels it instead of returning it

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I def. plan on coming with an open mind. I guess it will just take some getting used to...I guess my biggest worry is buying it and maybe i should have waited. I keep reading about this passion coming out. I guess my biggest worry is the camera and how slow it is. Like I said I have a newborn and I use my phone a lot for pictures. Once rooted will a rom come out helping the camera? That is great that there is a 24 hour return policy. I had read about that but wasn't sure just how true it was. As a developer do you see the games graphics getting any better? I mean they are not very good on the android from what i have seen.

ah, come on. Thats no different than every time they release an iphone the rumors of the next come out. And they are always released a year after the next so its out of contract. New tech always comes out, so waiting can be good, and it can just be bad. Witht he success of the droid(if the numbers are at 400k sold) youll see more.

Arent there already rumors of the next iphone? 5.0 megapixel, dual camera, built in rfid pay system blah blah blah

The camera does need some work. The focus isnt as good as the 3gs point to focus. But I am willing to bed you see something similar in an update, or a root rom maybe.

OP
F

Foolish

Reaction score
Ya your right on that note. I guess and if worse comes to worse the rumors are that the iphone will be on verizon wireless next year anyway so I could upgrade if I had to. Are there other camera apps on the market like the iphone has? At least until this one gets fixed? Also how is mms? one of my biggest problems with the iphone is I will get an mms with a spread sheet and a sound clip and sometimes just a funny clip but I cant watch both at the same time. Is this the same on the android?

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, one more thing to note, and not to sound like a Verizon fanboy, but part of the reason I went from my LG Chocolate 3 Personal phone to the Droid is that 30 day policy. If you don't like it, within 30 days, you can return the phone and service. I did that also when I switched from t-mobile to Verizon cause one, T-mobile's service in my area proved to not be helpful when the Gap Fire in Santa Barbara took out most of the City Power grid and my phone service dropped, but Verizon didn't (Probably because Verizon also had a large market share of the Local Phone Lines, thus larger Mobile Tower support infrastructure in place)

Given I was impressed with Verizon's signal strength in my area, where T-mobile was really spotty at best, I stayed with them.

In the case for the Droid. I wanted to check out how it would work and so far, from a shaky beginning to a "Hey, this is cool.", even with some things not being at the same par as the Blackberry for some things, but better than what I have come to be used to with the Storm... While I use the storm for work, as it is company provided, I like the droid as a personal phone because it does a bit more than my chocolate and it is like having an iPhone for music and internet browsing, as well as a newer TomTom. :)

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I haven't received any mms with sound as of yet. But I can tell you sending pics to phones or emails is way easier on the droid. In emails there is an actual attach button! No taking the pic first then having to tell it to go to an email.

I will have someone send me a clip with sound later and report back.

Ya your right on that note. I guess and if worse comes to worse the rumors are that the iphone will be on verizon wireless next year anyway so I could upgrade if I had to. Are there other camera apps on the market like the iphone has? At least until this one gets fixed? Also how is mms? one of my biggest problems with the iphone is I will get an mms with a spread sheet and a sound clip and sometimes just a funny clip but I cant watch both at the same time. Is this the same on the android?

kaorte

Reaction score
There is a rumored update coming in December that should fix the camera issues. Although if you change some of the settings on the camera you can get pretty nice pictures. I spent a lot of time playing with it and the pictures I have taken are pretty decent. I suspect they will only get better once the auto focus is fixed. Pretty sure it is not a hardware issue, just an issue with the program so you would just install the update and tada!