Do I have to charge my new Droid before use?

jdm

Reaction score
I am eagerly awaiting the friendly fed-ex man to deliver my new DROID. Do I have to initially charge it for X number of hours before I play?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didn't. Turned mine on and had a decent amount of battery left. You can always play on the phone while charging it.

OP
J

jdm

Reaction score
Thanks, I know that on my other phones the VZW made a big deal about charging overnight. With the updates in Battery technology this seems reasonable.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
Take into account that its always better to let the battery drain completely before charging. Doing this can prolong the life of the battery cells. So the answer is No, you dont have to charge it...power it on and use it until its about to die and then charge it fully.

qoncept

Reaction score

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
True indeed.....

Take into account that its always better to let the battery drain completely before charging. Doing this can prolong the life of the battery cells. So the answer is No, you dont have to charge it...power it on and use it until its about to die and then charge it fully.
Not true anymore. Lithium-ion batteries don't have "memory effect."

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Memory effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Thanks to new technology there is something they call "charging intelligence". Wich means u dont have to switch or phone on, play it empty, recharge it full and so on if u got it new.... just play wif it and recharge whenever u want!

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
True indeed

Thanks to new technology there is something they call "charging intelligence". Wich means u dont have to switch or phone on, play it empty, recharge it full and so on if u got it new.... just play wif it and recharge whenever u want!

Kaolc

Reaction score
In the fold out pamphlet that came with my droid.. in the "Charge and power on your device" section is says, "...remember to fully charge your battery before use."

Who do I listen to!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the fold out pamphlet that came with my droid.. in the "Charge and power on your device" section is says, "...remember to fully charge your battery before use."

Who do I listen to!

Neither, unfortunately. While it's true that lithium ion batteries don't have a memory effect that requires discharging them fully, it is also true that the battery meter on your droid is extremely inaccurate in a new phone. When it says it's fully charged, it's actually only about 70% charged.

The best advice is to charge for five to seven hours before using the Droid.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I plugged in mine to charge overnight when I got it, but the droid turns on when plugged in so I just decided to play with it since it powered up on its own. I took that as a sign it wanted to be used. I did leave it plugged in while using it though.

Kaolc

Reaction score
The best advice is to charge for five to seven hours before using the Droid.

Great, thanks! I will charge it for 6 hours (until I get home from work) and play with it all night

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana: