Dish Network Moves into the iPhone Repair Business

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dish-network-iphone-repair.jpg

Here's a bit of news that will have you scratching your head. Dish Network, the beleaguered satellite TV competitor to rival Direct TV is moving into a new business to supplement their revenue. Your first instinct might be to assume that they are getting into streaming, or music or some other content delivery project. That would make sense, but that would be wrong.

Dish Network is thinking way outside the box with their latest business venture. They are actually getting into the iPhone repair business. Dish's Executive VP of Operations, John Swieringa, explains that Dish technicians are "uniquely positioned with the technical know-how" to fix broken screens and batteries for iPhones. As you can see in the graphic in the thread below, Dish will repair any iPhone from the iPhone 5C forward, and their prices are fairly competitive.

Dish has also shared they are planning to provide repairs to other devices in the coming months. Whether that means they will work on older models of the iPhone, or they plan to offer Android repair too, is unclear at this time.

Source: Engadget & DishRepair

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the pricing for the 6/6+ also covers the 6s/6s+. I don't know the technology for screens, but wouldn't it cost more to replace the newer phone because of the 3D Touch?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
$35 "drive to" fee, they only repair on-site (or at a public location). It's actually quite a neat business model. I am toying with the idea of becoming one of the roving repair technicians. I wonder what the technicians earn (how much of the $35 and how much of the repair fee).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This move actually makes more sense when you start to think about it. They've already got a fleet of technicians with vehicles out and about. Why not have them do something to make some extra $ between install/repair jobs for their TV service?

As for the pricing, well, I sent my 6P back to Huawei for a screen replacement and they're charging me $163 and some change, so the prices here seem pretty fair to me. Sure, you're paying a bit more on some of those phones, especially with the "drive to" fee, but you're paying a little extra for a TON more convenience. I doubt this service tells you that there'll be a 10-14 day wait time once they actually get the device in hand. If you can have your coffee and do some work from your favorite coffee shop while your phone is repaired and have it back that same day, I'd say it's worth the price.

A gal I know just drove an hour and a half (one way) the other day to pick up her iPhone from getting the screen repaired. I'm sure she'd have been happy to pay more to have the tech come right to her. Not to mention, the shop she took it to had told her that they'd hold it for her before she left home. She got there to find out that someone didn't get the memo and they had just sent it out. Needless to say, she wasn't very happy to have driven that far for nothing...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pssst, I know a guy, who knows a guy, that will repair an iPhone screen for a hundred bucks.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
$35 "drive to" fee, they only repair on-site (or at a public location). It's actually quite a neat business model. I am toying with the idea of becoming one of the roving repair technicians. I wonder what the technicians earn (how much of the $35 and how much of the repair fee).
I was thinking that it would be fun to do also. I wonder if one already has to be experienced at it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk