Verizon and Redbox Team-Up to Take on Netflix with their own Streaming Service

nikecar

Reaction score
I believe they are going to do it, but compete with netflix? How? The netflix app is free. I already have netflix to watch at home on xbox, computers, ipad and android tablet. Netflix allows 12 or so devices to be enabled for use simultaneously. All 4 members of my family can watch different shows at the same time. Is verizon going to work on ipad and my computer? I have unlimited data so using their network to watch on my phone is not a problem. If you had only 2 gb data plan and their service was comparable to netflix with data being free for this service maybe some people would do it. Is the charge going to be per phone or plan? $10 for each phone maybe? Could get expensive quick! My unlimited instant view plan with netflix is less than $20. I don't see verizon offering anything like this for less than $20 for 12 devices simultaneous use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Netflix offerings are junk lately. When starz and Sony drop, then it is worse. I'm dropping netflix if starz isn't renewed

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

GBH2

Reaction score
It is "Verizon" NOT "Verizon Wireless". It is probably just something to push to their FIOS subscribers or a direct competitor pretty much exactly like Netflix and has nothing directly to do with our phones.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
This will not be Verizon exclusive. Other carriers will have the option to use Verizons Red Box app.

Reaction score
I don't see how this is supposed to mean Netflix will have competition finally.... amaxon already has streaming and so does hulu. So why would we think Verizon will all of a sudden be competition?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
4 years in, so let's do an inquiry on how many people actually use the service, would you consider it a success or failure, and what would make it successful?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally I use Netflix and Hulu mainly. But I have used others services like crackle and vudu.
I don't think it ever became as successful as Verizon and red box had hoped. And remember that this came out right when Netflix still had their mail DVD services. Netflix acquiring certain properties as well as having it's own original programming (ie daredevil, house of cards, orange is the new black, etc) it managed to fulfill a niche. Google and iTunes took care of the digital rental services and red box was left in the dust.

Though nearly impossible because of the studio rights, I think the only way red box could stand out would be to have a service where you paid to get early in theater digital streaming. There are many people who would pay to be able to watch the latest theater movie at home because for whatever reason they can not get to a theater or don't like crowds.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I only pay for Netflix & Prime (and the occasional VuDu rental) and use Redbox for the occasional movie that must be seen via BluRay. Because of that I haven't bothered looking into their streaming service, there's simply no need, for me at least.

S5 tap'n

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
How successful... I'm a Verizon customer and use Redbox as others here, but didn't know there was a connection between the two...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
How successful... I'm a Verizon customer and use Redbox as others here, but didn't know there was a connection between the two...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
I was just thinking the same thing! I had no idea that the two were linked!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm surprised you Verizon customers didn't have the app preinstalled.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Look for it in the July security patch update

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><

Reactions: cr6

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score

I get Redbox updates via email, and don't recall a word, then again I don't read every word...

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6