Disable stock text messaging app?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You can go into the setting and have it not notify of new messages...

OP
J

jasonty

Reaction score
Not rooted. Just want to make sure noone messages me, so I don't get billed extra. I use GV only, and don't pay for the text plan. So far, so good, but I have never been 100% sure about it.

get rid as in uninstall? not if you aren't rooted

bomber889

Reaction score
Just make sure while using GV that it isn't forwarding to your number and you'll be fine.

bishoy

Reaction score
if you are that cautious about it, you can call customer care and they can block text messages completely. its a free service they offer

arw01

Reaction score
if you are that cautious about it, you can call customer care and they can block text messages completely. its a free service they offer

There was a story about that the other day that the verizon reps can get fired if they offer it to you. You have to DEMAND, INSIST and have a fit to get it implemented now.

Our corp IT guys confirmed that for me the other day. He had to esculate to a a manager for a 200+ phones to get certain things turned off!

arw01

Reaction score
Is there a way to get rid of it? I use GV.

If you uninstall it, you will no longer get push notifications in GOOGLE VOICE. YOU have to manually refresh.

Learned that the hardway with bugless beast last week. As soon as I reinstalled MMS, then I got instant notifications again!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just make sure while using GV that it isn't forwarding to your number and you'll be fine.
Disablnig forwarding doesn't stop people from texting the OP's carrier number though. As mentioned above, the carrier can block messaging.

In my case, I was getting a new number. I just haven't given out the number to anyone. Everyone gets the GV number.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Messaging > Settings > Uncheck "Notifications"