Disable Cellular radio but keep Data Connection?

linkinparkz0

Reaction score
Typo in Thread name i know....

I am currently using a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, but it's so expensive to keep up with the 100 dollar payment each month as a college student so I decided to take the plunge into Google Voice.

However, i would like a fail safe before switching, some way to disable my cellular network so i can't receive calls or texts, but still get 3G and 4G LTE because i need it when im not around WiFi for Google Voice.

I saw a couple posts about it, one referring to which connections i allow, being LTE, CDMA, and EvDo. I was told to just choose EvDo, but that option isn't there on my phone, I was wondering if there was any work around or something.

Might also be important to say that I plan on having two separate numbers just so i can keep my carrier Verizon for the mobile network, i could care less for the cellular network.

I keep trying to use this thing where you dial *#*#4636#*#* and change the preferred network to EvDo only but I am still getting cellular radio and data. I dont know if i am doing something wrong but I can't seem to do anything about it no matter what network i choose

Anything at all would help. Thanks!

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Typo fixed.

You could either put it Airplane mode. Or go to Settings/More...(under Data usage)/Mobile networks & uncheck Data enable. Custom roms can put toggles for those in your pulldown menu. If you're not on a custom rom, there apps in the Play Store that should let you do that. I use a custom rom for the toggles, but this may help if you don't: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=toggles

B
TW, :welcome: to DF!

edit: Missed the part about using data & no cell signal. That may not be possible, but it's worth a look

OP
L

linkinparkz0

Reaction score
Typo fixed.

You could either put it Airplane mode. Or go to Settings/More...(under Data usage)/Mobile networks & uncheck Data enable. Custom roms can put toggles for those in your pulldown menu. If you're not on a custom rom, there apps in the Play Store that should let you do that. I use a custom rom for the toggles, but this may help if you don't: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=toggles

B
TW, :welcome: to DF!

edit: Missed the part about using data & no cell signal. That may not be possible, but it's worth a look

Thanks for the welcome, but i already know airplane mode and how to turn off mobile data.

It's trying to turn off just the cellular radio that im having trouble with, and my phone is rooted and such.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Go to the part I posted about "Data enable" & uncheck it. I lost data, but was still able to make a call. See if that'll work for you

OP
L

linkinparkz0

Reaction score
Go to the part I posted about "Data enable" & uncheck it. I lost data, but was still able to make a call. See if that'll work for you

No no see I am trying to get rid of the Verizon Cellular Radio, which is different than the Mobile Network, the Cellular Radio is the actual thing you use to make calls/text with. The mobile network just allows me to have internet. I would like a way for me to only have the Mobile Network. Disabling the Mobile Network like you said would leave me with just the Verizon Cellular Radio, to where i would most definitely be able to make calls and texts, but with Verizon charging me for it.

I would like to use Wifi, and the mobile network side by side with google voice so i don't have to pay for unlimited texting, and 450 minutes from Verizon.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would like to use Wifi, and the mobile network side by side with google voice so i don't have to pay for unlimited texting, and 450 minutes from Verizon.

I don't think Verizon would let you do it even if you find a way. They don't let you have data only plans as far as I understand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
L

linkinparkz0

Reaction score
I don't think Verizon would let you do it even if you find a way. They don't let you have data only plans as far as I understand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Actually, i would beg to differ, i called Verizon yesterday and the customer service rep dug around for a little but found an old plan to disable my texting/minutes so I just received Data. She gave me the code and the name of the plan so i could use it in the future, because i was too scared to go through with it still, because i didn't know if i could actually do it and not rack up loads of charges.

EDIT: I'm still afraid though, that i would receive the Cellular Radio signal, because you know Verizon, they want me to screw up so i would have to pay them LOOOOADSSSS A MONEYYYY

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Actually, i would beg to differ, i called Verizon yesterday and the customer service rep dug around for a little but found an old plan to disable my texting/minutes so I just received Data. She gave me the code and the name of the plan so i could use it in the future, because i was too scared to go through with it still, because i didn't know if i could actually do it and not rack up loads of charges.

EDIT: I'm still afraid though, that i would receive the Cellular Radio signal, because you know Verizon, they want me to screw up so i would have to pay them LOOOOADSSSS A MONEYYYY

I still don't think you would be able to apply that to a phone. I am not a Verizon employee, and don't pretend to know their inner workings, but I have two things that would lead me to think this is wrong.

Without some crazy trickery, as you are finding out, will a device be able to not accept call/txt info yet still get data. Verizon also would know this. I mean you more than likely would have to be unlocked, and perhaps rooted to achieve something like this even if it were possible. Verizon definitely frowns upon rooting/ROMing. Actually, what may you may have to do to accomplish this potentially could be illegal, or at least would get you axed from their network.

Secondly they know your device is a phone so they will want to make you pay for the phone service. They want every penny from you. They don't want you to have a sub $40 a month plan, when they can basically force you to pay $60 + . I base this on the fact that they don't allow smartphones to have minutes/text only plans, even though it is possible to kill data.

Bishang

Reaction score

I used to be a customer service rep.. you can't do it. Those plans are grandfathered and the system won't let them change you to it. You could get someone to do an inactive pricing request but there's no way that you know for certain that they'll allow it. And that request can take days to go through. The lowest plan with a smartphone you can get is 700 minutes with 300Mb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

clifford427

Reaction score
I would like to disable the cellular/data part all together and just have wireless. My wife lost her phone a while back (left he whole purse on top of the car and drove off) so we filed an insurance claim and replaced the phone. 3 weeks later the state was mowing the bar ditches, and found and returned the purse. The phone had fog in it so I took it apart to dry it out. Water poured out so I wrote it off. My son put it together a few days later and surprisingly it worked, exept the cellular radio is flakey. I want to disable it all together and let him use it like an iPod touch. A Rezound with its Beats Audio would work great for this. I just want to disable the cell radio all together so the notices quit popping up. I dont mind rooting it as it will never work on a cell network again.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I would like to disable the cellular/data part all together and just have wireless. My wife lost her phone a while back (left he whole purse on top of the car and drove off) so we filed an insurance claim and replaced the phone. 3 weeks later the state was mowing the bar ditches, and found and returned the purse. The phone had fog in it so I took it apart to dry it out. Water poured out so I wrote it off. My son put it together a few days later and surprisingly it worked, exept the cellular radio is flakey. I want to disable it all together and let him use it like an iPod touch. A Rezound with its Beats Audio would work great for this. I just want to disable the cell radio all together so the notices quit popping up. I dont mind rooting it as it will never work on a cell network again.

You can root if you want, but it isn't necessary to accomplish this.

Enable airplane mode, which will disable all radios. I think airplane mode toggle is on the power menu by default (long press power button), if not Settings > more... > Airplane mode Once airplane mode is turned on, turn on wifi.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Couldnt this person just remove the sim card or replace it with a blank new one and the problem is solved?

that way it would never make a cellular connection as there is no sim card or a inactive that is not authorized but still could enable wi-fi after bypassing the activation screen.

spider210

Reaction score
Typo in Thread name i know....

I am currently using a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, but it's so expensive to keep up with the 100 dollar payment each month as a college student so I decided to take the plunge into Google Voice.

However, i would like a fail safe before switching, some way to disable my cellular network so i can't receive calls or texts, but still get 3G and 4G LTE because i need it when im not around WiFi for Google Voice.

I saw a couple posts about it, one referring to which connections i allow, being LTE, CDMA, and EvDo. I was told to just choose EvDo, but that option isn't there on my phone, I was wondering if there was any work around or something.

Might also be important to say that I plan on having two separate numbers just so i can keep my carrier Verizon for the mobile network, i could care less for the cellular network.

I keep trying to use this thing where you dial *#*#4636#*#* and change the preferred network to EvDo only but I am still getting cellular radio and data. I dont know if i am doing something wrong but I can't seem to do anything about it no matter what network i choose

Anything at all would help. Thanks!

You can do this and take my word for, what you do is go ahead and activate your sim in a 4g lte verizon tablet (go buy one from somewhere there is no restocking fee aka not a corp vz store) do not have it attached to a plan, tell them you want it for wifi but might use it on a plan down the road. Go ahead, stick your sim into the tablet, call up customer service say you are transfering your phone number mdn to a tablet and want to activate on the new share everything data only plan For Data-Only Devices - Your Guide by Verizon Wireless at that point $40 gets you 4gb data. Ask the rep to make sure text block and voice block are inplace and then end the call

From this point go ahead and put the sim back into your phone, voice and text will be blocked but you'll have just a data only device.

Any how do I know this works? I've done it. Plus i work there ^_^

then of course return your tablet purchase :) you can thank the fcc for the 700mhz spectrum rules

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Play Store has a free app called Network. Install it, open, scroll down, tap turn off radio. You'll have to do it each time you reboot your phone

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post