Dinc2 Battery/Charging Issues

gobronx

Reaction score
I like this phone, but I'm having some serious problems lately.

I'm new to the boards and would much appreciate a pointer from any pros out there.

About two months ago, I started seeing the gray battery with exclamation mark. Not always on, but I started seeing this more frequently. I still haven't figured out what this is really indicating.

A few weeks ago, I noticed a "+" sign in my notifications. Seems like I'm getting spammed somehow, maybe a virus. I noticed battery issues and serious drainage. So I downloaded Lookout and some other security apps but no virus found. Then I started having serious battery issues and the phone was not fully charging or really charging at all. I even had the "Connect to Charger" icon pop up on the screen while I was plugged into my home and car chargers. So I performed a factory reset and rebuilt the phone on the unrooted Sense platform. To clarify, I'm not yet rooted.

I was able to get a full charge initially after the reset. The "+" is now gone but the gray battery exclamation is not. I ensured that I have a tight battery fit, cleaned contacts, etc. I started to investigate and tried to cycle the full charge with phone off, then on, then off, etc. That was two days ago. But now, I can't get more than a 55% charge per Battery Minder. In fact, as the phone is plugged in with Amber light and charging icon, I can see the Battery Minder charge decreasing.

Very confused and not sure what to do. To make matters worse, three months ago (before all of these issues), my phone saw a bit of water when a cup was spilled on an airplane. This partially activated the water damage indicator on the phone (battery indicator is fine). I stopped into the store today and sure enough, Big Red told me the warranty is void.

Will a root help with these issues? Is the charging port shot? A new battery? What else can I do?

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Download Airpush detector from the market. Should help you identify what app is causing the + sign in your notifications. Almost certainly an app, not a virus, so you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Do you have another battery you can try? Not sure what the gray battery exclamation point means.

Can you still connect your phone to your computer as a disk drive?

OP
G

gobronx

Reaction score
Download Airpush detector from the market. Should help you identify what app is causing the + sign in your notifications. Almost certainly an app, not a virus, so you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Do you have another battery you can try? Not sure what the gray battery exclamation point means.

Can you still connect your phone to your computer as a disk drive?

Very helpful information. Thank you. I downloaded Airpush and Addons. Whatever was causing the obnoxious notification appears to be gone after the factory reset. It's still great to know about these apps.

I'm hoping to root and then address some of the system files which appears to be a good solution. However, I'm not able to mount my phone to my computer! When I plug in the USB, my computer gives no notification and does not recognize the phone. The Dinc2 does not show my connection options either. It will indicate that the battery is charging, so there must be a connection, but nothing more than that. When I go to settings>connect to PC>default connection type, and make changes, there is still no identification that the phone is mounted to the computer. More worries!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!

OP
G

gobronx

Reaction score

Thanks for digging this up nikecar. I forgot to mention that I had found this thread prior to posting. I initially tried the charge with phone on, charge with phone off system. It appeared to be helping until I stopped getting a consistent charge overnight. I went ahead and tried this again yesterday at work and seemed to be getting somewhere with it. When I plugged my phone in to charge last night as I slept (phone on), it appeared that I was getting a charge to the battery. However, I woke up this morning to 11% battery life! It's not the particular charger I've been using at home (the charger provided with the phone) because I brought it into work today and I'm charging fine with it. It's almost as if my phone reaches a full charge when I leave it on overnight, and then the battery starts draining without reaching a certain triggering point which would reactivate charging. Does that theory make any sense?

Anyway, if I can figure out my latest screwy problem, how to mount to my computer, I'm going to root and try the alternate suggestion in the thread you've provided - system file reset.

I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about rooting as I'm just a geeky CPA without a deep understanding of computers/code. But, the idea of fixing this battery issue, tethering, add block, overclock, and improving my phone performance is too enticing. Besides, what do I have to lose if my phone is already out of warranty?

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very helpful information. Thank you. I downloaded Airpush and Addons. Whatever was causing the obnoxious notification appears to be gone after the factory reset. It's still great to know about these apps.

I'm hoping to root and then address some of the system files which appears to be a good solution. However, I'm not able to mount my phone to my computer! When I plug in the USB, my computer gives no notification and does not recognize the phone. The Dinc2 does not show my connection options either. It will indicate that the battery is charging, so there must be a connection, but nothing more than that. When I go to settings>connect to PC>default connection type, and make changes, there is still no identification that the phone is mounted to the computer. More worries!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!

Hmm, not being able to mount the phone to the computer doesn't bode well for your phone. Sounds like a physical problem that's causing the battery issues you're describing. You can't root the phone if your computer doesn't see it, so rooting is not an option. And with a voided warranty I'm not sure there are any other steps you can take.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Kimo91

Reaction score
I believe its a known issue with the DINC2...my wife's DINC2 quit charging and went to the store and they confirmed it quit charging and replaced it no questions asked...unfortunately it happened late Saturday afternoon and her replacement didn't show up till Tuesday.

On a side note when I was a repair tech for Sprint up until last year, the Samsung Moment had the same issue and found out the charging port was soldered with contaminated solder and the ports went out anywhere from a year down the road to even as short as 1 day out of the box.

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR

OP
G

gobronx

Reaction score
Do you have usb debugging turned on when trying to connect to the computer? Also, have you tried a new battery yet?

This post is Incredible 2!

I've tried with Debugging on and off. To no avail. I have tried different cords on different computers. My personal diagnosis is some sort of problem with the charging port. It's not good to hear that this has happened to other Dinc2's, hope it's not a systemic problem.

OP
G

gobronx

Reaction score
Hmm, not being able to mount the phone to the computer doesn't bode well for your phone. Sounds like a physical problem that's causing the battery issues you're describing. You can't root the phone if your computer doesn't see it, so rooting is not an option. And with a voided warranty I'm not sure there are any other steps you can take.

Anyone have any suggestions?

You're telling me. Not a good situation to be in. My phone barely took moisture when my infant son grabbed a water glass on an airplane seat tray and it spilled into the seat pocket in front of me (containing my Dinc2). I grabbed the phone in a split second and immediately yanked the battery and shook off water. I waited for a day to make sure no moisture remained. Unfortunately, a drop must have partially hit the watermark sticker - just a third of the sticker was affected.

I called Big Red and talked through my issues yesterday. They didn't ask about the sticker so I didn't volunteer. A replacement is on the way and I'm praying that they don't ding me $300 when they see the watermark sticker. Fingers crossed. I'm rolling the dice here.

I have an upgrade available but hoping to hand down the Dinc2 to my wife and jump up to a newer device in the next couple of months once we see the new products hitting the market. If nothing is too appealing in the next few months, the Rezound or Nexus at $100 range sure sounds nice.

Thanks for your help everyone!

ABQNM

Reaction score
You're telling me. Not a good situation to be in. My phone barely took moisture when my infant son grabbed a water glass on an airplane seat tray and it spilled into the seat pocket in front of me (containing my Dinc2). I grabbed the phone in a split second and immediately yanked the battery and shook off water. I waited for a day to make sure no moisture remained. Unfortunately, a drop must have partially hit the watermark sticker - just a third of the sticker was affected.I called Big Red and talked through my issues yesterday. They didn't ask about the sticker so I didn't volunteer. A replacement is on the way and I'm praying that they don't ding me $300 when they see the watermark sticker. Fingers crossed. I'm rolling the dice here. I have an upgrade available but hoping to hand down the Dinc2 to my wife and jump up to a newer device in the next couple of months once we see the new products hitting the market. If nothing is too appealing in the next few months, the Rezound or Nexus at $100 range sure sounds nice.Thanks for your help everyone!
Simply having activated the outside LDI (Liquid Damage Indicator) partially does not mean they will for certain ding you. When they see that it is activated, they will check the indicators on the inside of the device to see if any of them are activated as well. I have sent back a phone that had a partially activated external sensor from humidity (long before my speaker blew that I sent it in for) and it did not come back to me.

OP
G

gobronx

Reaction score
Simply having activated the outside LDI (Liquid Damage Indicator) partially does not mean they will for certain ding you. When they see that it is activated, they will check the indicators on the inside of the device to see if any of them are activated as well. I have sent back a phone that had a partially activated external sensor from humidity (long before my speaker blew that I sent it in for) and it did not come back to me.

That's good to hear ABQNM. I'm still taking a risk in assuming that the internal liquid indicators haven't been activated. I'm thinking if the water damaged the phone, I would have seen issues a long time ago and they would be more far reaching than just charging. That said, the kid at the Verizon store looked at the external indicator and immediately said there's nothing he could do. Frustrating that they are less helpful in person than over the phone.

For the benefit of future partially liquefied Droiders, I'll come back with a follow up and let everyone know how it works out.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
What do the indicators look like after the fact.

My sons camera went out. I unrooted it and prepared to take it in. I then noticed it had taken a nasty drop/throw as around the lens was beat to he(x2's l).. I was like no way they would warranty it out. I also saw "void" on the outside ..
Walked in Verizon told them the camera not working. Open up the app and nothing at all. He forced closed the app and tried himself. Got my refurbished next day.

Just wondering what "void" was cause on the refurbish I see it also.

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

ABQNM

Reaction score
What do the indicators look like after the fact.My sons camera went out. I unrooted it and prepared to take it in. I then noticed it had taken a nasty drop/throw as around the lens was beat to he(x2's l).. I was like no way they would warranty it out. I also saw "void" on the outside ..Walked in Verizon told them the camera not working. Open up the app and nothing at all. He forced closed the app and tried himself. Got my refurbished next day.Just wondering what "void" was cause on the refurbish I see it also.posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...
Not quite sure what you mean about void and where it appeared and how it relates to the refurbished phone...

OP
G

gobronx

Reaction score
What do the indicators look like after the fact.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your story. I was referring to the red and white checkered water indicators. There is one in the battery compartment and one on the battery itself. The VOID sticker I believe you refer to is black with white lettering and sits on top of a screw in a screw hole. That always says void and is there to indicate if the phone has been opened up.

I will take a picture to demonstrate. My refurbished Dinc2came today, a day early. I am sending the damaged phone in next week, fingers crossed.

EDIT:
Phone has been sent off. This is what the LDI looks like.
20120113_225946.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0167.jpg
    IMAG0167.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 266