Difinitive Apps to Freeze List

tebower

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has compiled a list of safe bloat apps to freeze (yes, I know the ones in the bloat script thread, but that's not all the bloat).

I am going to start a list of the apps I have frozen (not deleted) using Titanium that have not caused me any problems. I am a pretty dedicated Google user, not needing any other services by other providers. Some of the apps I have frozen are unique to me because I don't need them.

Add others you have frozen to help us get a complete picture of what we can do without if you are looking for as close to a bloat-free experience as possible.

To see only frozen apps, open Titanium, touch Backup/Restore button. Touch the menu key, choose filters, and enable "filter by temperature --> Frozen" and then touch "apply" in upper right. It will list only your frozen apps.

3G Mobile Hotspot 2.2
Backup Assistant 2.2
Backup Assistant Client 1.0
Blockbuster 1.0.79 (updated)
City ID 1.0.30
Desk Home 2.2
DLNA 0709.69
DlnaSystemService 1.0
Email 2.2
Emergency Alert 1.0.0
Files 2.2
Global Unplug 1.0
Help Center 2.2
Home Screen tips 2.2
MediaShare 1.0.0
MS Exchange Service 2.2
News 2.2
News and Weather 1.3.01
Quickoffice 3.3.67 - Motorola
SIM Contacts 2.2
Skype Mobile 1.0.0.20
Social Messaging 2.2
Social Messaging Service 2.2
Social Networking 2.2
Social Sharing 2.2
Social Status 2.2
Sync Service 1.5.7
Talk 1.3
Voice Commands
Voicemail 1.1
VPN Client 1.0
VPN Services 2.2
VZ Navigator VZ_Navigator_6.1.0.160
Weather 2.2
Work Contacts 2.2
Yahoo Contacts 2.2

Last edited:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Youre running pretty bare, nice! I myself turn off all bloat except for My Verizon, because its a nice and easy way to check accnt/billing status and minute usage :)

Add yahoo contacts
Youtube
zoom mode
To that list :D

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

Reaction score
Don't forget:

admin notifier
adservice 1.0
Amazon
Android Live Wallpapers
blockbuster
calendar
calendar service
calendar storage
calendar sync adapter
cardock
Global Phone Authorization (assuming you won't be going Global)
in pocket
kindle
live wallpaper picker
magic smoke wallpapers
print to retail
SIM toolkit (again, assuming you're not going global)
toggle widgets
world clock.

OP
T

tebower

Reaction score
Thanks! I froze a few more! What does Admin Notifier do?

Reaction score
No idea, but it DOESN'T lock up my phone when I freeze it, or negatively impact my using experience... So it's frooooooooooozen.

xXFlashXx517

Reaction score
To see only frozen apps, open Titanium, touch Backup/Restore button. Touch the menu key, choose filters, and enable "filter by temperature --> Frozen" and then touch "apply" in upper right. It will list only your frozen apps.

3G Mobile Hotspot 2.2
Backup Assistant 2.2
Backup Assistant Client 1.0
Blockbuster 1.0.79 (updated)
City ID 1.0.30
Desk Home 2.2
DLNA 0709.69
DlnaSystemService 1.0
Email 2.2
Emergency Alert 1.0.0
Files 2.2
Global Unplug 1.0
Help Center 2.2
Home Screen tips 2.2
MediaShare 1.0.0
MS Exchange Service 2.2
News 2.2
News and Weather 1.3.01
Quickoffice 3.3.67 - Motorola
SIM Contacts 2.2
Skype Mobile 1.0.0.20
Social Messaging 2.2
Social Messaging Service 2.2
Social Networking 2.2
Social Sharing 2.2
Social Status 2.2
Sync Service 1.5.7
Talk 1.3
Voice Commands
Voicemail 1.1
VPN Client 1.0
VPN Services 2.2

VZ Navigator VZ_Navigator_6.1.0.160
Weather 2.2
Work Contacts 2.2
Yahoo Contacts 2.2

Don't forget:

admin notifier
adservice 1.0

Amazon
Android Live Wallpapers
blockbuster
calendar
calendar service
calendar storage
calendar sync adapter
cardock
Global Phone Authorization (assuming you won't be going Global)
in pocket
kindle
live wallpaper picker
magic smoke wallpapers
print to retail
SIM toolkit (again, assuming you're not going global)
toggle widgets
world clock.

Can someone explain to me what the bold and underlined apps are and what they do please.

Reaction score
Global unplug is the reminder to unplug your charger from the outlet to save power.
Mediashare is software to let you share images/videos from your phone to your enabled TV/PC across the network.. meh
MS Exchange services is.... Uhh.. Microsoft Exchange services.. If you don't use exchange, you don't need it.
SIM Contacts is for managing contacts stored on the SIM... if you're not using one, you don't need it.
VPN Client/Services are for the built in VPN Client.. if you don't know that, then you probably don't know what VPN is, and you probably don't use it, so you can probably freeze it.
Work contacts, I'm assuming has to do with the D2G's ability to have home and work profiles.. but I use launcherpro, so that's moot, so I froze it.
Yahoo contacts is... yahoo contacts.. Who uses Yahoo anymore, except old people and europeans?
toggle widgets is the power widgets that you can add to your home screen for wifi/bluetooth/gps/etc. If you don't use it, you can freeze it.

xXFlashXx517

Reaction score
Global unplug is the reminder to unplug your charger from the outlet to save power.
Mediashare is software to let you share images/videos from your phone to your enabled TV/PC across the network.. meh
MS Exchange services is.... Uhh.. Microsoft Exchange services.. If you don't use exchange, you don't need it.
SIM Contacts is for managing contacts stored on the SIM... if you're not using one, you don't need it.
VPN Client/Services are for the built in VPN Client.. if you don't know that, then you probably don't know what VPN is, and you probably don't use it, so you can probably freeze it.
Work contacts, I'm assuming has to do with the D2G's ability to have home and work profiles.. but I use launcherpro, so that's moot, so I froze it.
Yahoo contacts is... yahoo contacts.. Who uses Yahoo anymore, except old people and europeans?
toggle widgets is the power widgets that you can add to your home screen for wifi/bluetooth/gps/etc. If you don't use it, you can freeze it.

I have all my contacts backed up in my gmail/ yahoo account so I wouldnt need the SIM Contacts right... and yes I use yahoo.... -___________- lol
But I been using my gmail more since my D2 is linked to it.
Thinking about just changing all my social network emails to my gmail, make things easier and that way I can just freeze all the yahoo apps on my phone. By doing that Id increase space and possibly better battery performance?
Thanks though, thats helped alot.
Only thing I might defrost from time to time is mediashare, dlna and office.

Last edited:

silver6054

Reaction score

I have all my contacts backed up in my gmail/ yahoo account so I wouldnt need the SIM Contacts right... and yes I use yahoo.... -___________- lol
But I been using my gmail more since my D2 is linked to it.
Thinking about just changing all my social network emails to my gmail, make things easier and that way I can just freeze all the yahoo apps on my phone. By doing that Id increase space and possibly better battery performance?
Thanks though, thats helped alot.
Only thing I might defrost from time to time is mediashare, dlna and office.
As NiceGuysFinishLast said, SIM Contacts is useful only if you are using SIM cards. It allows you read/write contacts between your phone and SIM card, which is vital if you are moving a SIM card from phone to phone. If you don't do this, then you don't need it, if you do, it is critical, so a good example of one person's bloatware being another's important application!

c_m_chance

Reaction score
Question about freezing apps: When you freeze the apps, are you just making it to where the system can't run them automatically itself and you can still access the apps manually yourself, or does this keep them from coming on period?

Reaction score
Question about freezing apps: When you freeze the apps, are you just making it to where the system can't run them automatically itself and you can still access the apps manually yourself, or does this keep them from coming on period?

this keeps them from working, period. Until you thaw them, then they run fine.

c_m_chance

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! I just froze a good bit of stuff that I don't need running. How much battery improvement do you normally see from freezing some of this useless stuff that always runs?

Phoenix1224

Reaction score

I know they're not in my tray anymore... From my understanding, it hides the app itself, then blocks it from running so as to save you some space in RAM, though it is still present in the drive space. Lol, like being swept under a rug. Thats just my guess though

OP
T

tebower

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that all Titanium does is rename the application files from *.apk to *.bak. Meaning that they become backup files that the OS does not see as applications. Once your defrost them, their extensions go back to being .apk, so the OS registers and runs them.

You could manually do this with Root Explorer and get the same effect.