Did I root too soon???

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
So yesterday afternoon I got "trigger-happy" and rooted my Bionic. Then after work I started noticing the issues many have been having with no 3G signal.

Since I am rooted now, (even with an unroot...i think) I wont be able to receive any OTA updates that could fix this or any other bugs left.

Thoughts??? Did I root too soon?? What are my options going forward??

mach330

Reaction score
just unroot and ask for a new phone from vzw.

i haven't rooted yet (no wifi tethering available that's easy..not the xda hack of hotspot which i don't want to try out yet). but i see problems on loosing 4g signal. it doesn't even go to 3g.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
IMO yes, you rooted too soon.
Rooting potentially voids your warranty.. so if anything goes wrong within the warranty period you are potentially screwed.
Also, if you decide to simply return the phone because it isnt for you within the 14 days it could be an issue as well.

Nobody knows for sure if VZW has ways of knowing you've rooted.. but there are signals that they can.

GadgetRick

Reaction score
just unroot and ask for a new phone from vzw.

i haven't rooted yet (no wifi tethering available that's easy..not the xda hack of hotspot which i don't want to try out yet). but i see problems on loosing 4g signal. it doesn't even go to 3g.
I saw the xda hack. Are you saying you cannot do wifi tethering unless you do the xda hack? I'm waiting on my Bionic and wifi hotspot is the main reason I plan on rooting. I've been doing it with my OG Droid for quite some time now and I like it.

Thanks.

mach330

Reaction score
I saw the xda hack. Are you saying you cannot do wifi tethering unless you do the xda hack? I'm waiting on my Bionic and wifi hotspot is the main reason I plan on rooting. I've been doing it with my OG Droid for quite some time now and I like it.

Thanks.

yeah wifi tether doesn't work yet so some guy did a hack for the hotspot. it doesn't look that bad, but just looks dangerous. plus, i'm holding off on rooting as we might get updates soon for some initial bug fixes.

btw..is there a thread on bionic bugs? i couldn't quite find it. let me keep digging.

BlackDiamond

Reaction score

Thanks.

Yeah that hack looks good, but im still a little worried that the hack was a hack on a Verizon APP. Im not trying to loose my Unlimited Data or my phone warrenty over it. AND not to mention is that i watched the video on xda and the guy explaining it was having problems getting anything to connect..

So imo, there is no real reason to Root just yet...phone runs great regardless..i will wait until something Big comes along:happy: before i root!

mjones73

Reaction score
yeah wifi tether doesn't work yet so some guy did a hack for the hotspot. it doesn't look that bad, but just looks dangerous. plus, i'm holding off on rooting as we might get updates soon for some initial bug fixes.

btw..is there a thread on bionic bugs? i couldn't quite find it. let me keep digging.

Problem is any bug fixes may also patch the bug you can exploit to get root.. it's a catch 22.

chetqwerty

Reaction score
You don't want to root until they fix the many bugs - you won't get an update.

I don't understand this logic at all! With the MotoOneClick root method just unroot when the update is available. Rooting adds so many different possibilities to the phone if nothing else to use adfree to get rid of annoying ads. Besides it took them forever to do a bug fix for the X so i wouldn't be expecting anything soon.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I don't understand this logic at all! With the MotoOneClick root method just unroot when the update is available. Rooting adds so many different possibilities to the phone if nothing else to use adfree to get rid of annoying ads. Besides it took them forever to do a bug fix for the X so i wouldn't be expecting anything soon.

Moto is under contract to deliver the first patch within a certain period of time.

OP
h1br1d7heory

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score

I believe once you're rooted, even with an unroot, you won't get the updates....anyone confirm this???

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
with previous phones you unroot you'd get the updates.
again though, read my first post in this thread.... there is evidence that VZW has been working at ways to know if you're rooted or not. personally I wont root until after 14 days AND when there are some stable ROM's available.

OP
h1br1d7heory

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
Yeah, as my OP said though, I got a little trigger happy and the damage is done already. So as long as I can unroot and get an update that fixes some bugs I should be ok. Not that I have much of a choice