Did I Get a Refurb?

Lomaximus2oo8

Reaction score
I recently bought a Droid Razr MAXX HD, allegedly new. I bought it on January 4th and didn't receive it until the 9th (2-day shipping my butt!) and activated it the same day. I bought a case at my local Verizon store and all was well. Yesterday, the 14th I dropped it onto a carpeted floor while standing and the glass completely shattered in the bottom left-hand corner of the device. There was even glass that's now missing, the entire Verizon logo is gone! I've had one other phone crack on me but never like this, not with glass missing.

I now have suspicion that I may have been sent a refurb. I have bad luck, but my luck isn't THAT bad. Seems like his gorilla glass is complete bologna to me.

Anyway, I called Verizon explaining what had happened. I even made sure to tell them that the rep that sold me the phone stated that under the 14-day guarantee I could return the phone "with NO questions asked". Later I find out that the phone has to be in the same condition. I do have insurance on the phone but I feel like I was just cheated out of $300 for what was a lemon.

I'm so frustrated with having to give up my unlimited data as it is and this just makes it so much worse. I know it's a stretch but can anyone give me any advice or help on this matter? Thanks in advance.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The only thing I can think of is that the gorilla glass is so rigid that a drop on the corner like that could theoretically do the damage. I know this doesn't help you out and that sounds like the worst luck. Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

R

RETG

Not sure how missing glass would denote a refurbished phone. If the glass was on the phone when it dropped,, it has to be somewhere now.

Doesn't sound right that it would shatter on a carpeted floor, but like they say...poop happens. That's why people carry insurance, which you evidently did.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Nothing you can really do other than file a claim with the insurance...and be sent a refurbished phone.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

niXerKG

Reaction score
Gorilla Glass is great but it's not unshatterable. It's still glass.

It's better than what it use to be. How far was it to the carpet from where you dropped it?

Also as for your shipping complaint 2-day shipping is 2 business days which means M-F, so assuming you put in the order on Friday 4th it didn't get processed until Monday which means you getting it on Thursday the 9th sounds about right.

I'm sorry just sounds like bad luck. It happens. You have insurance.

OP
L

Lomaximus2oo8

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm still coming to terms with what happened. Not entirely life shattering (pun intended), but still something I dididn't need to deal with.

So I found out that I could get the phone fixed by Motorola for $100 or use my insurance for the same price. If I use the insurance I'll probably get the phone faster but get a refurb. Would I still have my same phone if Moto fixes it for me or will I just get another replacement?

Layvin1

Reaction score
My wife's RAZR glass spider webbed from about 2ft off the ground from a couch . It had a amzer case on it, but it hit the top right corner just right and it cracked like an egg. It didn't even bounce hard. She used it like that for a while, but now its dead cause she ran it over in the driveway about 3 weeks ago. =-O

Sent from the Best overlooked phone in the market. LG SPECTRUM²