Desktop Only mode - Droid X

jrv8989

Reaction score
brand new droid user here.

Really like it so far and have been checking out the possible accesories, While browsing i ran across some pictures of the droid in a landscape mode, and it is a multimedia desktop charger it is pictured with. It mentions a desktop only mode, and i was wondering how to access this, or if it only applies to this specific accessory.

Thanks

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can change this setting yourself....

One way to do this is...

open your browser > in the address bar type "about:debug:" and then hit enter. (nothing will appear to have happened)
then hit menu > settings > and then scroll down to UAstring > choose Desktop :)

I have a D1 and this is the only way I can access this setting, but I do not recall whether or not the X has a "User Agent" setting in the browser settings. (again press menu > settings) You can change the 'user agent' to Desktop there.

Changing the UAString and/or the User Agent from Android to Desktop will give you full websites (not the mobile version) by default. This is something to note because their are some circumstances (for instance a redirect for an Android app) where the UA has to be Android in order for a download to take place.

I've only run into this once while trying to download an app for Android that was not yet available in the Market. (from a download link)

OP
J

jrv8989

Reaction score
ooooh ok i gotcha, i thought it meant you could use your home screens in a landscape mode i didnt know it was referring to the web pages you browse.

Thanks for the help!!!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket browsers generally allow you to specify the user agent. The stock browser on Bugless 0.6.1 doesn't require the about:config approach.

jugglervr

Reaction score
open your browser > in the address bar type "about:debug:" and then hit enter. (nothing will appear to have happened)
then hit menu > settings > and then scroll down to UAstring > choose Desktop :)
THANK you. i missed that part at first.
for others: UAstring was at the VERY bottom of settings.

Detonation

Reaction score
What you're seeing is the dock mode, which is triggered by the magnet in the multimedia dock. Its not an actual landscape mode of the normal homescreen though, just a special dock designed homescreen. I think there are some apps that can manually put the phoine into this mode.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Most home replacement apps have this option (and depending on if you have a custom rom, even the stock launcher). ADW (free or EX) and LauncherPro are two popular ones (I currently am using ADW EX). If that's what you are talking about then that is your solution. Or you can just slide open your keyboard. That works as well.