Desire z help

Almagest

Reaction score
Does anyone know what desire z Rom is the most complete? Like the camera working at full 720 and what not.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
A

Almagest

Reaction score
No one?

lsdozer

Reaction score
AFAIK, No Z rom is able to record on 720, but I use strictly Z series ROM's, as I dont use the video camera.

Check out these ROM's at XDA: mmmark's port of Virus Rom 2.1 (my current favorite), Super Z standard by WES342 (my previous favorite) and WarmZ two point two by incubus

All of the Z series roms's have been very smooth for me, but I seem to like the above ones the best. I havent really had any problems with any of the Z ROM's, and I have tried all of them.

OP
A

Almagest

Reaction score
I think the z roms look amazing but that may just be because I like HTC sense. I checked out the virus page at xda and I think it said that it wouldn't flash over from a stock Rom? It also had some extra folders that needed to be flashed but I'm not sure how to flash those. This would be my first flash of a Rom so some advice would be cool. I know the flashing method just not how to flash folders. And I've already have nano backups ready.

lsdozer

Reaction score
PM sent with a link to a ROM. Are you gonna use ROM Manager to flash a new ROM, or Clockwork Mod?

Once rooted, flashing ROM's is easy as pie. just remember to make a backup before flashing, and I always wipe data and cache through ROM manager.

OP
A

Almagest

Reaction score
I was going to use clockwork but I do have Rom manager which might just be easier. I'm pretty sure that I can flash roms with ease, its just not knowing how to flash the updates that are put out in folders that's got me.

lsdozer

Reaction score
Not sure what you are referring to when you say "folders". I use strictly ROM Manager, because it is simple.

If you want to try the ROM that I sent you the link for, I will give you a quick refresher tutorial on how to use ROM Manager.

1. download the file (which will be large) to your computer.
2. Transfer the file via USB to the root of your SD card, not in a sub-folder, so it is easy to find.
3. Open ROM manager. If you havent used ROM manager yet, choose the first option to "flash clockwork mod recovery" and select CDMA. It will create a recovery image
3. go to "install ROM from SD card
4. navigate to the ROM you downloaded and select it
5. check create backup AND wipe data/cache options, then choose go or OK or whatever the choice is
6. ROM manager will do its thing and boot into the new ROM when complete.
7. You will have to log into your HTC account, then your Google account.

OP
A

Almagest

Reaction score
HTC account? I've never heard of that. I've looked at some of the z roms and sometimes the dev finds a fix to a problem but doesn't want to release the Rom again so instead he puts up a dl to a folder.

lsdozer

Reaction score
OK, now i see what you are talking about regarding update folders. Usually, a dev will wait until they have major changes to make to a ROM before they update it, unless there is some issue that is popping up, and they have a fix for it. These updates, or flash overs, are also easy.

Just make sure it is actually an update, and not the whole rom, then open ROM manager and install from SD card as before, but this time DONT choose wipe data/cache, because it isn't a full rom.

As far as HTC account, when you load a Z rom, the first thing you should do is create an HTC account, I just used my gmail address. then it syncs the phone, and next time you wipe data/cache it will basically restore most of your apps and some other settings. It is very easy and seems to restore the phone quicker than AOSP ROM's

OP
A

Almagest

Reaction score
Ah I see, for backing up apps I'm using titanium backup and the contacts will be replaced by my Google account. Virus seems to be having some mms problems, which version are you running? And to flash back to stock I just do a wipe and pick the back up file and flash right?

lsdozer

Reaction score
I am using 2.1 and I have no problems with mms, but a few are. as far as going back to "stock", you would just go into rom manager, choose manage backups, select the backup you created before you flashed the new rom and let it do its thing. You dont have to wipe, because it restores the rom you saved.

FWIW, I dont use titanium anymore. With these Z roms, it restores so fast, I dont need it, except in rare occasions. I have also run into problems with restoring data from titanium. I think it has caused errors and force closes before. Usually you are safe with backing up just apps.

Oh, and also, once you get the hang of flashing, you should try all the roms and see what you like and what works best with your phone. Sometimes I flash two or three rom's a day

OP
A

Almagest

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to a concert soon and will need the 720 so I won't be flashing to soon but the day after I will and post how it goes. I read somewhere that the thunderbolt was dumped, it would be awesome if that popped up soon. Apparently its running gingerbread with the updated sense?

lsdozer

Reaction score
No problem. If you want to play around with very nice non-Z rom's, check out skyraider 3.5. It was my favorite for a long time, until I found these Z rom's. also, I have enjoyed Incredibly Re-engineered 2.0 off and on the last couple days.