Deleted songs/playlists still appear in the music app (or appear twice):

Pilot145

Reaction score
Even after removing all the m3u files (imported from iTunes using ItunesExportUI), the playlists still appear.

I scroll through the song list and some of the songs appear twice, though only one of the two files works. The other just skips to the next song.

I tried manually clearing the cache in Music, and even installed WinAmp and found the same problem.

Is there a way to make the media recognizers do a refresh?

I also tried the cache clearing via powering up while holding power + Home, then 'search'.

I also removed all music and playlists, rebooted, and then restored the music and playlists.

I've only had the thing a week.

Droid X

Thanks, and now I'll bask in the glow of the Droid gurus' wisdom!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wiping cache doesn't touch the sd card. You have to go through the sd card and remove the songs from there. I use isyncer to move mu stuff from itunes to my x.

OP
Pilot145

Pilot145

Reaction score
I'm going to try isyncer...

I did a format of my SD card and I'm reloading music now.

When I looked at my SD card, the songs were not in the directory twice, but they were showing up twice when I went to the music app. It wasn't every song, only a few of them. I'd click on one of them and it'd play. I'd click on the other one and it'd skip to the next song. I didn't know if it was due to a double listing of the song.

Perhaps the location of the song on the playlist didn't match, so the playlist caused the song to list again, once for the playlist (where there was no file) and once for the actual location of the song.

Also, some songs were in the iTunes playlist but didn't show up on the playlist on my Droid.

SKondris

Reaction score
I have a the same problem.

I nuked my mp3's from mounting it via my PC - but they STILL ALL show up - with dupes.

And they'll play just fine too!?? Where they freak are they on my phone - I thought I deleted them!!?!!

I've gone through my SD Card exhaustively with Astro file mgr, and have searched to find where in the world my mp3's even are - NOTHING!

But they still play and show up everywhere. :( color me confused- and frustrated!

OP
Pilot145

Pilot145

Reaction score
Hey, I did a format of my SD card and reloaded it, and the problem went away.

Just make sure you back up anything you want to keep.

Corkster

Reaction score
Deleted Songs still show up in "Songs" on Music Player

I also formatted my SD card and that did NOT help.

Corkster

Reaction score
Deleted Songs still show up in "Songs" on Music Player

Not so far, I've formatted my SD card 3 times, umounted it, put a .nomedia in the Music directory and still the same thing, Something's cached in the OS and nobody has given me any solution. Fun Fun Fun, dealing with an OS that is new.

nissmo66

Reaction score
Not so far, I've formatted my SD card 3 times, umounted it, put a .nomedia in the Music directory and still the same thing, Something's cached in the OS and nobody has given me any solution. Fun Fun Fun, dealing with an OS that is new.

ugh, that's frustrating.

it's weird when I choose to play one of the phantom files it says it doesn't support this format and goes back to the main music page...

Corkster

Reaction score
I get the same thing when I select a file that I know I've deleted and try to play it. And I know it's deleted because I formatted the SD, Nothing is on it.

Corkster

Reaction score
I really love the Droid, but there are really some things that suck on it. The Stock email client via "imap" is a piece of crap and the music player is a piece of crap. The ability to kill an application also bites. I know there's free apps that offer that functionality, but jeeze, why on the stock apps is there not an ability to "kill" to save memory. I'm just venting sorry.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
I had an issue a while back when I deleted a video from my media card, the video will still show up in the video player list no matter how many times I tried to do a media scan.

The only way I got rid of it was going into Settings | Applications | Manage Applications, tap on All, then Media Storage, and then tap on Clear data.

nissmo66

Reaction score
I had an issue a while back when I deleted a video from my media card, the video will still show up in the video player list no matter how many times I tried to do a media scan.

The only way I got rid of it was going into Settings | Applications | Manage Applications, tap on All, then Media Storage, and then tap on Clear data.
BINGO boys and girls we have a winner!

Now why in the hell wouldn't moto have that routine run after the sd card mounts??

Corkster

Reaction score
FreezyFreaky, you are da' person! That worked! Thank you!

Nissmo66, I don't think they want it after it mounts because I'm sure it's a caching index, but certainly that routine should run after formatting.

Last edited:

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
FreezyFreaky, you are da' person! That worked! Thank you!

Nissmo66, I don't think they want it after it mounts because I'm sure it's a caching index, but certainly that routine should run after formatting.

Glad that fixed it!! dancedroid

BTW, it seems like this only happens if you delete media files directly from the SD card. Deleting using the apps seems ok.