Delete files on SD card after Kit Kat

tituswife

Reaction score
I've used Astro file manager for years. Since KK, I can read the files on my SD card, but Astro can't delete them. Has anyone found an app that will work?

Thanks.

Sent from my stock Samsung Note 2 using Swiftkey

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I've got "my files" on my phone and I just deleted a file on my sd card.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
I can't find that in Play. I'm stock. Will it still work?

Thank you.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Sorry, I found it! I'll give it a try. Thanks!

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
It's not reading the same files as Astro. I've deleted some files that show up on My Files. The app crashes, but when I restart it, the file is gone. But, since it's not finding the large, now worthless files, I'm not sure I'm accomplishing anything. Thank you, though.

Tonik

Reaction score
Just guessing here, I am not taking this update....what if you pull the sd card and put it in a card reader in your computer and delete them.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Just guessing here, I am not taking this update....what if you pull the sd card and put it in a card reader in your computer and delete them.

That should work. I was looking for a way to do it when away from the computer. Thanks!

NOVICE

Reaction score
That should work. I was looking for a way to do it when away from the computer. Thanks!

Unless I'm missing something it's my understanding that after KitKat you can't transfer files to the SD card using the phone unless you're rooted. And at least for the Verizon Note 3 there's no presently approved procedure to root.

But you can transfer apps and data using your computer and writing directly to the card.

I personally would have preferred to avoid KitKat but Verizon downloaded the sucker onto my device in the middle of the night.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Google is why people go to Ios. I still prefer the variety, and control of Android.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Unless I'm missing something it's my understanding that after KitKat you can't transfer files to the SD card using the phone unless you're rooted. And at least for the Verizon Note 3 there's no presently approved procedure to root.

But you can transfer apps and data using your computer and writing directly to the card.

I personally would have preferred to avoid KitKat but Verizon downloaded the sucker onto my device in the middle of the night.

Almost correct. You can't edit/transfer files on the SD card with third party applications except for the files those applications create in their own folders on the SD card. You can edit files on the SD card that any given app created on its own in its own folder, but not across folders. Stock apps work just fine for editing/transferring across folders though. Here's a great explanation of it: KitKat and SD cards: what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood

I used to use Astro as well, but I had to stop with KitKat. That said, I've found that the stock My Files app works perfectly fine. I liked Astro better, but I'm still able to do the things I need to do on a regular basis. I'm definitely not a fan of this change in KitKat, but it's manageable.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, bsweetness. I'm also going to keep working at making My Files work for me.