Definition of "Super AMOLED" vs "Super AMOLED Advanced"?

ianlin

Reaction score
In searching the web, I found that "Super AMOLED" is a Samsung term meaning AMOLED screen with integrated touch layer.
But "Super AMOLED Advanced" is a Motorola term, it's precise meaning is not clear to me.
Does anyone know the difference?

SallyC

Reaction score
In searching the web, I found that "Super AMOLED" is a Samsung term meaning AMOLED screen with integrated touch layer.
But "Super AMOLED Advanced" is a Motorola term, it's precise meaning is not clear to me.
Does anyone know the difference?

According to Wiki's AMOLED page,

Super AMOLED Plus, first introduced with the Samsung Galaxy S II and Samsung Droid Charge smartphones, is a branding from Samsung where the PenTile RGBG pixel matrix (2 subpixels) used in Super AMOLED displays has been replaced with a traditional RGB RGB (3 subpixels) arrangement typically used in LCD displays. This variant of AMOLED is brighter and therefore more energy efficient than Super AMOLED displays[20] and produces a sharper, less grainy image because of the increased number of subpixels. In comparison to AMOLED and Super AMOLED displays, the Super AMOLED Plus displays are even more energy efficient and brighter.

However, as Wiki notes, "citation needed" to actually prove these claims.

This article from AndroidAuthority also talks about the difference.

OP
I

ianlin

Reaction score
According to Wiki's AMOLED page,

Super AMOLED Plus, first introduced with the Samsung Galaxy S II and Samsung Droid Charge smartphones, is a branding from Samsung where the PenTile RGBG pixel matrix (2 subpixels) used in Super AMOLED displays has been replaced with a traditional RGB RGB (3 subpixels) arrangement typically used in LCD displays. This variant of AMOLED is brighter and therefore more energy efficient than Super AMOLED displays[20] and produces a sharper, less grainy image because of the increased number of subpixels. In comparison to AMOLED and Super AMOLED displays, the Super AMOLED Plus displays are even more energy efficient and brighter.

However, as Wiki notes, "citation needed" to actually prove these claims.

This article from AndroidAuthority also talks about the difference.

Thanks SallyC! I had previously read the Wiki article. Your quote is on "Super AMOLED Plus". I wanted to know more about "Super AMOLED Advanced". The androidauthority article shed a little more light, but still does not say what specifically "Super AMOLED Advanced" entails. I am also uncertain if the term "Super AMOLED" means the same thing to Samsung as Motorola. For example, for Samsung "Super AMOLED" means integrated or "in-cell" digitizer. I don't know if Motorola's "Super AMOLED" also includes integrated digitizer.

SallyC

Reaction score
Sorry about that! As for the SuperAMOLED Advanced, according to this article in Anandtech, "Advanced apparently now connotes qHD." It goes into a lot of technical info but a picture's worth a thousand words (especially if you're technically illiterate, like me!:blink:) so here's a screenshot from the article showing the difference between SAMOLED (Galaxy S), SAMOLED+ (Galaxy S 2), SAMOLED Advanced (RAZR):
View attachment 53127

OP
I

ianlin

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Do you know if "Super AMOLED Advanced" has integrated digitizer?

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Do you know if "Super AMOLED Advanced" has integrated digitizer?

Super AMOLED does so I would *assume* that Super AMOLED Advanced does since the differences that I've seen listed do not mention anything that would make me think not. Plus articles like this say "An AMOLED display consists of an active matrix of OLED pixels that generate light upon electrical activation that have been deposited or integrated onto a thin film transistor (TFT) array, which functions as a series of switches to control the current flowing to each individual pixel."

But you're over my pay grade here so if this is something that's really important to you and the reference doesn't sound like it answers your question then (assuming no one else chimes in) I guess it'd write Motorola and ask them.

WestOkid

Reaction score
Super AMOLED Advanced is is just marketing mumbo jumbo created by Motorola to distinguish their QHD super AMOLED screen (960 x 540) from other Super AMOLED screens which were 800 by 480. This makes less sense now since Samsung subsequently launched the GNEX and other phones with higher resolution HD Super Amoled screens. BTW all Super AMOLED are pentile no matter what the resolution. The pixel density on phones like the GNex masks the pentile effects (see Sally's post). Super Amoled+ is not pentile, but current manufacturing (big pixels) only allows it to produce 800 X 480 resolution on standard phone sizes. This was the hangup the Razr and the GNEX had. People couldn't understand why they didn't use the newer Super AMOLED+. Ironically, almost a year later and even the GSIII uses the pentile based Super AMOLED and not the AMOLED+ used by its predecessor.