Defective cases on ebay: beware!

savageseas

Reaction score
Hi all. I searched and couldn't find a thread for this so I figured I'd throw one up and if I get told there is one, so be it. Trying to be helpful.

Back in february I bought a bunch of snap-on hard cases for my Moto DROID off ebay and cellphoneshop.net. One of the two I bought from ebay I had my roommate install while we were on our way to her bday dinner. I got a call while at the table and my phone went nuts afterwards. Screen would not come back on, somehow it merged my call and another incoming, wouldn't ring, etc. etc. I eventually got it to reboot and it was fine until someone called me. I finally pulled the battery and left it off. I didn't get what the problem was until later that night. The case I bought had no hole in the upper left corner of the faceplate for the proximity sensor. I took the faceplate off and it was fine, but I had eaten the $10.

I contacted the seller but got no response. By the time I filed a complaint w/ebay it was past the limit for valid complaints. I ended up just being frustrated.

I let it go until last week when I went looking for cases again. Again, I found several sellers selling snap-on hard cases with no port for the proximity sensor. I emailed several, figuring they *might* not know of the defect. Three of the 4 did not respond and the auctions are still up. The 4th responded thinking I had bought from them and offered me a replacement of the correct type but did not take down the defective case's auction. I filed one official complaint w/ebay under 'fraudulent merchandise' but I doubt that will go anywhere.

I just thought I'd post because it infuriates me to see people get ripped off. Below are some item examples. Feel free to contact ebay or the sellers if you are as irritated at the notion of people ripping you off as I am. :)

GREEN ACCESSORY CASE + SCREEN GUARD for MOTOROLA DROID - eBay (item 280494606830 end time May-17-10 10:32:35 PDT)
This is the item I reported. No hole in the upper left corner of the faceplate = bad news. (Almost every solid-color case sold by this seller has the same defect)

RED RUBBERIZED Hard Case For Motorola Droid Accessory - eBay (item 150436574228 end time May-22-10 23:04:55 PDT)
Another one - different seller.

PURPLE SOLID BLING Accessory Case 4 MOTOROLA DROID A855 - eBay (item 260597961787 end time Jun-04-10 22:57:32 PDT)
Another - yet another seller.

The list goes on, although I did have to hunt a bit more to find the offenders. Maybe the email did do some good. I did see a lot of the defective cases paired with chargers and etc. in bundles. Its still not right for them to be selling them if they know they are defective. By ebay feedback I know that most of them DO know. :icon_evil:

Happy DROIDing!
~Sdancedroid

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Hey thanks for this info. I thought the proximity sensor was inside the speaker for when the phone is against your head. Directly above where it says MOTOROLA above the LCD screen. I guess this isn't true because the pictures of those cases show that. So it's in the upper left of the phone?

I am using the "bodyglove" branded case. I like it but it's hard to keep my phone cool in hot weather and it's way worse with this case on.