Data Usage / Tethering & PDAnet - Help...

droidZ111

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been browsing the webs for a while now trying to formulate an answer for myself, but can't make a wise decision...and am looking for input.

I will need internet connection in the middle of a parking lot next month during a fundraiser event. The best option I see is to tether my droid 1 to my Macbook using PDAnet. It will be for a total of 4 hours and I will just be using the internet to process credit cards via payPal in a browser.

1. How much data do you think this will use up?

2. Will I be able to access SSL sites (https://) using the free version of PDAnet, or will I have to purchase the full version.

3. Ultimately, will Verizon be able to detect that I am tethering without paying for their tethering service?

Everything I have read already is outdated, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. it honestly depends what you're looking up, just browsing shouldn't use too much (nowhere close to 1gb, unless you're refreshing a major flash page every couple seconds.) Unless you're on Youtube the whole time, that'll eat up a bit more, hard to estimate data use though.

2. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

3. Honestly you shouldn't have to worry about this too much. VZW is well aware of root users and tethering, but they have no proof to catch us. They can only monitor so much data usage per account, and a single spike in yours wouldn't spark any interest, unless you're up to maybe 30GB, lol. (Which I'm sure you won't hit in your 4hrs as long as you're not torrenting while on youtube and running flash games, still seems quite impossible to me.)

Have fun tethering and I wouldn't worry at all about being caught. I tether every now and then but they can't tell the difference and I haven't gotten a warning of any sort.

opnay1

Reaction score
pdanet not working??

Hi everyone. I am new here and would consider myself a novice but have a question: Instead of trying something extreme like a friend of mine, I simply bought pdanet and it worked fine. Because I have internet at home and work, I only used it if my home network was down or wanted to go on non work sites while at the office (espn, etc). My problem is that I get an error on the pc saying my device is not configured properly or is already in use. It had been a month or more since I last used it but I only remember that usb debugging needed to be running for pdanet to work. Did verizon do what I think or is there one thing I am forgetting??? I have media share set to usb mass storage, droid x, android 2.2, thanks in advance

jseah

Reaction score
The free version of PDAnet CANNOT access https sites. Only unsecure sites.