Data Restrictions?

Squeak87

Reaction score
I keep getting a notification in my status bar that says background data is restricted. It started today out of nowhere and its getting very annoying because it stops my apps from syncing. Could Verizon be causing this? Any help would be more than appreciated.

(Droid Razr Maxx <<ICS .215>>)

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
You could check to see if anything was changed. You'd go to Settings/Data usage. Scroll down the list & click the apps that are giving you problems. At the bottom of that apps screen will be a check box for restricting data

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Its not a specific app but I did check anyways and to restrict background data it tells me to set a mobile data limit which I have never done. I just rebooted my Maxx so hopefully that corrected the issue. Thank you for the advice.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
::UPDATE:: I realized that I had the background data restricted in my smart actions app, even though it wasn't running it was still restricting data. I changed it to allow all data and haven't had an issue since.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
No problem, hopefully this helps if anyone else has a similar issue. Rebooting my phone didn't even work.

etbass2k

Reaction score
::UPDATE:: I realized that I had the background data restricted in my smart actions app, even though it wasn't running it was still restricting data. I changed it to allow all data and haven't had an issue since.

How did you get to the settings to change the data restrictions? My fiance has a Razr Maxx and uses the Smart Actions app also and is having a similar issue. Sometimes she can receive picture texts, sometimes she gets the "Background Data Restricted" message and has to click on it and "allow" the data to download. We can't seem to find where to access the "restricted data" in the Smart Actions App to change it and allow all data. Thanks for your help

GotnFX

Reaction score
How did you get to the settings to change the data restrictions? My fiance has a Razr Maxx and uses the Smart Actions app also and is having a similar issue. Sometimes she can receive picture texts, sometimes she gets the "Background Data Restricted" message and has to click on it and "allow" the data to download. We can't seem to find where to access the "restricted data" in the Smart Actions App to change it and allow all data. Thanks for your help

Let me guess that she has low battery saver or battery saver activated under smart actions...Open the smart action.. either one of the battery savers..but if she has both she is gonna want to do it twice..then under actions, you'll see adjust background data..hit that and another menu related to background data will pop up..that is where she can change to allow all the time.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
I just turned off the "Restrict Data" option in Smart Actions and rebooted my phone. All was well after that.

(Droid Razr Maxx <<JB 4.1.2>>)