Data Recovery Galaxy S3 KitKat

campd21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
My friend's kid got ahold of my phone and accidentally deleted a very special video. I'm not sure if anything else was deleted, but I really just want the video back. I'm heartbroken. I hadn't backed up for a couple weeks, and this is unfortunately one of the few things that I didn't have a copy of. I have stopped using the phone so I can attempt data recovery. It's a Galaxy S3 on Verizon, SCH-I535MBB.

I've tried several different programs, but every time I hook up to my PC, it connects as "installer" for about 60 seconds, then switches over to MTP, which causes the data recovery program to un-see the device. More research has led me to discover this is the result of KitKat, and I can no longer mount as a mass storage device. ???

I'm increasingly frustrated, as I am fairly certain the data is just sitting there to recover, but I can't access it because the computer is only seeing my phone as a media device. The phone is not rooted, but I don't mind doing it if that would help.

If someone could give me step by step instructions for how to try data recovery for this, I would be incredibly appreciative. Or if someone can tell me how I can mount it as mass storage. Even if I can just get a clone or image of the drive, I could use computer software to look for the video. Thank you.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
On troops, let's pull our heads together and give this valued new member the support s/he needs.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
+1 so I can follow this thread.

If we can get your video recovered, I highly recommend turning on auto upload over wifi in google+, Microsoft one drive, Verizon cloud, or a number of other apps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
C

campd21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Hi Jonny,

I did a similar Google search, yes. I tried a bunch of methods, was up late last night. The end result always was that my device would switch over to MTP after 30-60 seconds and the data recovery software would no longer "see" it. I tried a few programs. I also read some threads about what to do if the phone was rooted, but couldn't get a definitive picture of whether rooting POST-deletion would help me. I think I could easily recover the video if I could somehow secure an image or clone of the partition, but I can't do that because of KitKat's disabling of USB Mass Media mount option!!! So frustrating.

I do use Verizon Cloud, but I ran out of space a few weeks back and I needed to upgrade. Have been so busy and just hadn't got around to it. I have kicked myself so many times now. Also use a backup app to my SD card from time to time. I like redundancy for my backups. But alas, I miss a few weeks and this is what happens.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Rooting & using adb might actually be your best option. Rooting gives you more access & adb creates a different connection between the phone & computer.

It won't be quick & easy by any means, but if the quick & easy options haven't worked for you, it may be time for a "last resort" attempt.

There are plenty in this forum who can help if you have questions when Rooting & setting up adb, as well as several guides & tips.

One Way to Use a Linux Computer to Recover Files from an Android Device

OP
C

campd21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Hi Jonny,

Thanks for the reply. Okay, I'll start looking into that. Unfortunately, my familiarity with Linux is limited and even more so when it comes to phones. I'm quite comfortable on a Windows PC, grew up doing BASIC and etc, but kind of quit once I got out of high school. I'll need fairly step by step instructions. I'll browse the forums a bit. So I'm hoping if I can get it rooted and use the debugging, maybe I can make a connection with the computer that will allow it to "see" my phone as a mountable partition. I could take it from there myself. It's getting into the phone that seems to be tripping me up.

I'll give that a try and see where I get. Always open to more suggestions.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had no experience with Linux when I first starting using adb myself. I've since taken classes on Linux, but it's similar to working in DOS or any other command line interface. I know there were great step by step guides when I was doing things similar to this on my original moto droid, so I'm sure there are still some out there. The link I provided seemed fairly step by step, but you may need to do a little bit of googling for more specific instructions in some areas.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks Johnny, for taking an interest in helping. Your support its truly appreciated by the members and staff alike.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks Johnny, for taking an interest in helping. Your support its truly appreciated by the members and staff alike.
Well, I may have been dormant for quite a while, but that's what we started the rescue squad for back in the day.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I recommend that you remove the SDcard and purchase a reader fir the computer. You can then recovery the video that way using a file recovery program for a flash device. :)

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I recommend that you remove the SDcard and purchase a reader fir the computer. You can then recovery the video that way using a file recovery program for a flash device. :)

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!
Valid point if the video was stored on the SD card. Most laptops already have a memory card reader. All you'd need is an adapter to make your micro SD card a regular SD card.

However, if you didn't save to the sd card (I believe you said you usually backup to the SD card), this won't help you.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, I may have been dormant for quite a while, but that's what we started the rescue squad for back in the day.

We all take a break once in a while. As did I. Thanks again.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes, if the data is on the removable flash. We all assumed it's on the internal SD card. Lets ask the OP.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Well if it's a video she recorded, then usually it is automatically saved to the sdcard. Unless she doesn't have one installed

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!