Damn, I will be happy when 4G gets to my area.

hydro556

Reaction score
I live in Warrenton MO, about 40 miles west of St Louis (Cardinals!!) right off the interstate. I am told, at least by employees at the VZW store here (FWIW) that 4g will be extended to our town soon after the first of the year. I hope they are right, but cannot find anywhere that tells VZW's future plans for 4g expansion.

At home, I get about 3megs on my wi-fi and less than that on 3g. Today I drove about 12 miles east, toward St Louis and got full 4g reception. I did 3 speed tests and all of them were around 20 megs down and 8-14 up. The best was almost 22 megs down. That is phenomenal speed and it was very noticeable using the phone too. Hurry up VZW, I LOVE my GNex, but it would be even better when the speed is bumped 10x!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree..I got 25 down and 15up today...kinda don't wanna go back to fl haha

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I live in a 3g area, but every now and then I go out of town and I get 4g. As much as I like it, I don't like how much faster my battery drains on 4g. I use wifi at home so I get speeds greater than what the 4g would be, so I'm not exactly craving 4g in my town yet (nor do I expect it anytime soon).

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
I live in a 3g area, but every now and then I go out of town and I get 4g. As much as I like it, I don't like how much faster my battery drains on 4g. I use wifi at home so I get speeds greater than what the 4g would be, so I'm not exactly craving 4g in my town yet (nor do I expect it anytime soon).

Your wi-fi must be far better than mine. What kind of speeds are you running and on what ISP?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
We got Verizon FIOS about a year ago and even with the cheapest package (lowest internet speeds) I get 2.4 MB/s downloads. 3g speeds I get maybe 100 KB/s tops. Not sure what 4g usually gets since I'm not around 4g areas enough to test it out.

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
We got Verizon FIOS about a year ago and even with the cheapest package (lowest internet speeds) I get 2.4 MB/s downloads. 3g speeds I get maybe 100 KB/s tops. Not sure what 4g usually gets since I'm not around 4g areas enough to test it out.

Well, 4G would be 10-20 mbps. So, much faster than what you saying you are getting on wi-fi. About 10 times faster than my wi-fi.

MrJack

Reaction score
Well, 4G would be 10-20 mbps. So, much faster than what you saying you are getting on wi-fi. About 10 times faster than my wi-fi.
I think you're missing the conversion in there. 10-20 mbps per second would round out to be about 1.25-2.5 MB/s. He'll get roughly the same (or better possibly) speeds with his home wifi and internet connection than if he's using 4G. He would also have the bonus of less of a battery drain generally for the wifi radio. I'm the same way as him, I consistently pull roughly 2.5 MB/s on my home wifi, so I use that, even with having 4G in my area.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I think you're missing the conversion in there. 10-20 mbps per second would round out to be about 1.25-2.5 MB/s. He'll get roughly the same (or better possibly) speeds with his home wifi and internet connection than if he's using 4G. He would also have the bonus of less of a battery drain generally for the wifi radio. I'm the same way as him, I consistently pull roughly 2.5 MB/s on my home wifi, so I use that, even with having 4G in my area.
Thanks, what he said.

You're talking about 10 - 20 megabits, not megabytes.

wil318466

Reaction score
Fell lucky. I get about 8-15 megs down, and mostly in the 10 range. 22 down I've never seen but my lowest I've seen is like 7, so that's ok. For a smartphone it's more than enough, it's not like I'm downloading dvd movies. My cable modem only gets 19 down.