D4 + Bluetooth + Pandora + Car stereo fail

Taxcheat

Reaction score
Just put Alpine's new CDE-HD137BT head unit in my car, and when the D4 bluetooth isn't being cranky it works great for navigation and listening to things like YouTube channels in the car. The radio is designed to let you control Pandora on an Android phone, but I can't get that feature to work with my Droid4 (unrooted). The phone is paired & connected to the head unit, BT audio is working, I have the Pandora app running with the "automotive mode" setting activated in the app, but the head unit just says "NO PANDORA". Seems this is a permissions thing -- I had to grant a pop-up permission question to let the head unit download my phonebook, but nothing pops up for Pandora. This would seem like an Alpine forum question, but they don't have one. Ugh. Figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has suggestions.

lightsout619

Reaction score
same problem

I just had the same unit installed. I have the Razr, can't get it to connect with pandora, everything else worked fine. I connected the HD137BT with a Xperia Play, Droid X2, and a Stratosphere. No problems with any of them except my Razr. If you figure it out let me know. Thinking it's a phone issue?

hdebo

Reaction score
I just purchased CDE-135BT and having same issue with my Razr MAXX. I have the Pandora app running with the "automotive mode" setting activated in the app, but the head unit just says "NO PANDORA". I have called Alpine and they say it is BT profile issue with the phone. After calling Motorola and going through two techs up to level 2, I was told that there is no known issue. Kinda sucks everyone is just passing blame. I hope someone can figure out how to make this work.

pilonull

Reaction score
I have a sony Bluetooth car deck, works flawlessly for me. It doesn't have pandora support but I think it uses a2dp or something like that

schatzy62

Reaction score
I just had the same unit installed. I have the Razr, can't get it to connect with pandora, everything else worked fine. I connected the HD137BT with a Xperia Play, Droid X2, and a Stratosphere. No problems with any of them except my Razr. If you figure it out let me know. Thinking it's a phone issue?

The Xperia Play, Droid X2 and Stratosphere all use AVRCP v1.3 as does the CDE-HD137BT and the CDE-135BT.

The Droid Razr, RazrMaxx and 4 all use AVRCP v1.4

Not saying that is definitely the problem but it very well could be.

AVRCP 1.4 should be backwards compatible to v1.3 use but that does not mean it truly is in Motorola's use of it.

adrenalinex

Reaction score
I had the same problem.. here was my solution..

Just put Alpine's new CDE-HD137BT head unit in my car, and when the D4 bluetooth isn't being cranky it works great for navigation and listening to things like YouTube channels in the car. The radio is designed to let you control Pandora on an Android phone, but I can't get that feature to work with my Droid4 (unrooted). The phone is paired & connected to the head unit, BT audio is working, I have the Pandora app running with the "automotive mode" setting activated in the app, but the head unit just says "NO PANDORA". Seems this is a permissions thing -- I had to grant a pop-up permission question to let the head unit download my phonebook, but nothing pops up for Pandora. This would seem like an Alpine forum question, but they don't have one. Ugh. Figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has suggestions.

Alpine's tech support was great. They walked me through my issue in getting the Android HTC Evo 3D (Android v. 4.0.3) to pair via Bluetooth with my Alpine Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit so I could use Pandora mode.

I had read elsewhere that the Pandora via USB was meant only for iPhones.
Androids will always stream Pandora to the head unit via Bluetooth, and NOT through USB.
Alpine confirmed this was true.

Alpine had me check to make sure I was using the latest version of the Pandora app for Android (which was 4.2).

The crucial parts were the following four things-

1. ON THE PHONE, IN THE PANDORA APP SETTINGS, under "Advanced," the "Bluetooth for Automotive" must be selected.

2. ON THE HEAD UNIT, hold down the "audio" button so that you get into the settings. the different settings there are, for example.. general, display, tuner, IPOD&USB, Application, etc.
Select "Application," then "Alpine APP," and change the setting from "USB" to "BT". Then, exit those menus.

3. ON THE PHONE, go into "Settings," then "Bluetooth" (where the list of your Bluetooth devices is).
Click settings for the "Alpine CD Receiver" (which looks like a gear or an equalizer next to the name). Make sure "Media Audio" is selected (both "Media Audio" AND "Phone Audio" if you also want to be able to take calls).

4. ON YOUR CAR, take the key out of the ignition and put it back in to allow the car stereo to completely reboot.

Make sure the head unit is set to Pandora mode.
Make sure the phone's bluetooth pairs with the car stereo head unit.
Start the Pandora App. The head unit should indicate that it is connecting and a few moments later, you should be streaming Pandora!

OP
T

Taxcheat

Reaction score
Select "Application," then "Alpine APP," and change the setting from "USB" to "BT". Then, exit those menus.

My older head unit has no APP setting (double checked in the manual). This must be the problem -- maybe Alpine has a firmware update? They were pretty clueless when I called about it the first time. It's great to know that there might be a solution, thanks!

DMCMAN82

Reaction score
I'm trying to do the same thing with my 82 DeLorean as I got the CDE - HD149BT. I can listen to Pandora with the Bluetooth device setting with wireless but I can't get it on the actual Pandora app on the radio. And reading the previous post I don't have an automotive setting in my Pandora app on my phone which is a Android Note 5 but maybe it needs to get updated?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk