D3 rooted?!

acoers

Reaction score
So if i do this root will the phone be basically naked with nothing in it. Or will everything be there still and i can do anything i want now?

patfactorx

Reaction score
I just used the ADB shell method and just wanted to give the tip that you should prolly learn how to use it anyways so you can always have the latest root method going forward.

BTW, I LOVE ROOT! Phone is so much faster!

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So if i do this root will the phone be basically naked with nothing in it. Or will everything be there still and i can do anything i want now?

You will keep currently installed apps.

REMilk

Reaction score
I rooted my Droid 3 today using the 1-click method. I used my 10 year old PC running XP SP3. It took about 5 minutes to download and install the current 32-bit drivers. It took about 2 minutes to download and organize the files from the 1-click zip file into a folder. Once these were on the PC, it took less than 5 minutes to root my Droid 3. I checked on the App Market to make sure I had the latest version of SuperUser; the 1-click zip had the most current version as of today (8/29/11).

I tested a couple of rooted app than they were recognized by SuperUser. Next I will freeze some apps.

Bob

matt192004

Reaction score
does the one click method of rooting work? i used z 4 root with my droid 2 and got all the bloatware off and it DIDNT improve the speed also read in an earlier post where if you root the droid 3 you will NOT receive ota updates is that correct? i dont like bloatware but will tolerate it and NOT root to get ota updates.

REMilk

Reaction score
does the one click method of rooting work?

YES! see my post immediately preceding yours.

.... also read in an earlier post where if you root the droid 3 you will NOT receive ota updates is that correct? i dont like bloatware but will tolerate it and NOT root to get ota updates.

My experience with my rooted OG Droid is that you receive the OTA updates, but you lose root. You then need to re-root.

Bob

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yes correct you can take the update as long as u unfreeze everything that u have froze or reinstall if u jumped the gun and deleted it bc the update will not go threw...you will just loose root when u do and more than likely root will have to be redone bc the update will change the phone hardware so the root method will no longer work....so for example when the last update came for the D2 awhile back I waited till root was done again then I took the update

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Reaction score
Hopefully we will have an unroot by then. But I need an update to fix the blue pics. Im confident that we will have root again when an update does come out. The people that find a way to root these phones are really good so no dought that they will find a way. But nice to know about the update.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I haven't seen the batch/shell scripts but you would simply undo what it does. Remove the init modifications, the symlink, the su app and binary file (removing them in that order).

Reaction score
I haven't seen the batch/shell scripts but you would simply undo what it does. Remove the init modifications, the symlink, the su app and binary file (removing them in that order).

I think it would be cool if someone would post detailed instructions on what you just told me. Everything from what app to use and step by step. What you said makes sense just don't know how to get there. But im not wanting to unroot now. I think someone is working on a one click unroot now anyway. If an update comes out before I wil unfreeze the bloatware and update. Then I will wait for a new root if not I still will love this phone. It ran great even with the bloatware, but still want root.

americanz

Reaction score
i also need an unroot. soon if anyone could come up with that.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
does the one click method of rooting work? i used z 4 root with my droid 2 and got all the bloatware off and it DIDNT improve the speed also read in an earlier post where if you root the droid 3 you will NOT receive ota updates is that correct? i dont like bloatware but will tolerate it and NOT root to get ota updates.
Nope, you just freeze em. And it DOES improve your speed. But yes, if you uninstall, you won't receive OTA updates. But not always a big deal for some people.