D2G with .629. Wanting to flash to CM9.

Simba7

Reaction score
My wife accepted the update on her D2G (I didn't) and she's now stuck with GB. Is there a way to make a copy of my phone's nand and flash it onto hers, overwriting everything on the nand?

She's pouting that my phone has CM9 ICS and I can't do the same on hers.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Note: i nor droidforums is responsible for anything you do to your phone/your wifes phone:

with that being said... if ya want... you can try something... i know with the droid x... the ota got pushed that broke root and sbf... and they were able to get around it so they could root and rom again...
the path they took... was flashing the milestone x(same phone... different radio) with the linux sbf method... because it doesn't flash the radio.img... it shouldn't mess anything up... so some people figured that out.. and now others are able to do the same... and are able to root and rom again...
but i don't know if the latest ota sbf file has leaked yet... because if this doesn't work the same... you'll need something to bring you back up...

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
There is no compatible firmware that can be SBF'd over these new keys.

There is no failsafe; the SBF image for 4.5.629 is unavailable.

You're basically telling him to experiment on a live device, that is in use, and try random SBF images, when he has no way to go back afterwards.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is no compatible firmware that can be SBF'd over these new keys.

There is no failsafe; the SBF image for 4.5.629 is unavailable.

You're basically telling him to experiment on a live device, that is in use, and try random SBF images, when he has no way to go back afterwards.

I want telling him to do anything... It was just an idea.. If the necessary files had leaked... I wasn't sure if they were out for the d2g... that's why I added the little part about if the files had leaked... So if it didn't work he'd have a way back

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

OP
Simba7

Simba7

Reaction score
Thanks anyway.. It was worth a shot. I still think it's bullsh*t that they pushed this update to begin with. I'd JTAG it if it didn't void the insurance plan.

We're tempted not to renew our contract and just buy a pair of MS3's and throw 'em on a Straight Talk SIM one-year plan.

rocketlog

Reaction score
let's just pray that the .629 root thing that jelly's working on over at rootzwiki get's somewhere final-ish sometime soon. :biggrin:

evanlec

Reaction score
I don't even see CM9 available yet for the D2G , how did you accomplish this on your own phone?

evanlec

Reaction score
Thank you Gasai!

I apologize, I am a little new at this...

Right now I have CM7 installed (just a few days ago actually), I have clockwordmod installed, and root.

Can I simply flash the CM9 bin directly by downloading it from that link, transferring it to my D2 Global SDCard,
reboot into recovery mode, make backup, reset to factory defaults/clear cache, and finally, apply the .zip file.

This is my normal procedure, but just want to make sure I don't need to do anything else like flash back to stock
firmware, eliminate CM7, etc

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Pretty much. If it bootloops, use the adb trick to get back into cwm recovery, format system, reinstall, and try to boot again. It worked just fine over cm7 for me as well, so nothing should go wrong.

Breakfast beats worrying.

cjpopp

Reaction score
Thanks!

I've spent the last 2 days trying to get from .629 SBF to CM9 and I keep running into problems.

If I install via RDS, I fail. Fail with CM9, CM7, .608 - all with bootloader hang.

So I RDS to .629 SBF and all is right with the world.

If I take the .629 SBF and root it, I get either the Red M (CM7) or CM logo (CM9) and nothing more than that. Using Droid 2 Bootstrap to get to this point. Tried with CWM and same happens.

I can get back to .629 SBF via RDS and all is cool and working 5 x 5.

From the many many many posts I've seen about upgrading, rooting, etc. it looked like at first you were screwed if you got .629 OTA but when the .629 SBF was released then there was a great sigh and no more bricks.

But that's where I get confused.

Are people upgrading from .629 SBF to CM7 or CM9? If so - how? Via Root and Bootstrap? or via Root and CWM? Are they going down from .629 SBF to an older rom and then upgrading? Or are they sacrificing goats to make this beast conform?

I guess I am asking is if there's a clear definitive answer and if the answer results in yes you can upgrade to CM7 or newer, how do you do it? With clear, easy to understand (IE someone that doesn't live and breathe the ROM Life) instructions. I'm sure that there's an answer out there but it's in bits and pieces and not really clear...

Thanks!
Chris