D2G Newbie questions

thelemur

Reaction score
So I had a Droid, sold it on ebay and bought an iPhone 4, didn't like it, and bought a D2G on ebay, and am awaiting its arrival. I've been reading the forums a bit, but some of the info is over my head. So, I have a few questions:

1) I have VZW. I plan to travel to asia later this year. Is it going to be a major undertaking to make this phone work there? Do I need to use a VZW SIM or can I use a foreign SIM? Should I expect to have data service from other carriers?

2) If I root the D2G, will it impact my ability to use it overseas?

3) If I root the D2G, is a ROM required? My only motivation for rooting it is to have a free wifi tether. What are the benefits of custom roms?

4) Are there any drawbacks to rooting the phone? Problems with updates? Apps that dont work?

Thanks!

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
So I had a Droid, sold it on ebay and bought an iPhone 4, didn't like it, and bought a D2G on ebay, and am awaiting its arrival. I've been reading the forums a bit, but some of the info is over my head. So, I have a few questions:

1) I have VZW. I plan to travel to asia later this year. Is it going to be a major undertaking to make this phone work there? Do I need to use a VZW SIM or can I use a foreign SIM? Should I expect to have data service from other carriers?

2) If I root the D2G, will it impact my ability to use it overseas?

3) If I root the D2G, is a ROM required? My only motivation for rooting it is to have a free wifi tether. What are the benefits of custom roms?

4) Are there any drawbacks to rooting the phone? Problems with updates? Apps that dont work?

Thanks!

1. Should be able to do either, but to use a non VZW sim card you'll need to get the unlock code from VZW.

2. No, rooting by itself won't effect overseas use.

3. No a rom is not required. For now we only have one full rom option, Fission. Fission is based on clean Google Android while stock is Moto base. For the most part its a cosmetic decision, however I personally feel that Fission is snapier.

4. Only real drawback to rooting is technically voiding the warranry. Rooting allows users to manipulate files the manufturer did not intend us to manipulate, as such there is a risk of damaging the phones software. Most issues and be resolved. If you mess something up, ask for help before you send it to VZW.

Hookbill has had other issues that he attributes to rooting. While I haven't personally experienced them, you might look into it more, just to know more about it.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
T

thelemur

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! I'm sure I'll be on here all day Wednesday when my phone arrives.