Sim Card Removal?

gcarson

Reaction score
I've been a lurker at this forum ever since I bought my D2G. Some great information here. I know lots of people love it. I'm in a love / hate relationship. I like how it does so much more than my BB.. but, at times, I like my BB's simplicity and most importantly, the BB's responsiveness. It seems my D2G is sluggish at times, and extremely sluggish when its plugged into a USB cable.. as in almost unusable.

OK, a little off the subject there. I'm traveling overseas next week. And unfortunately, VZW's data plan overseas will allow me to have my phone on for about 3 hours before I use up my pro rated 70MB. I use to love the unlimited data plan, but this is pretty much worthless with a D2G. So, after reading threads here, I called verizon and got my code to unlock my phone which will allow me to buy a sim card in Europe to use for the week (UK and France). While speaking to a friend, he told me 'good luck getting out your sim card.' I laughed and thought how hard could it be. Well, after 2 hours of trying and searching, I can't figure out how to get this thing out for the life of me. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it out of a D2G? Why do they make it so impossible?

Also, I've read in one thread that you need to put the unlock code in before you leave the US. Verizon told me you can't put it in until you insert the new card and never mentioned anything about it having to be done in the US. Any experiences on that?

klep33

Reaction score
The SIM card is not hard to remove. Take out the battery and then just pull the card out. Nothing fancy to do.

OP
G

gcarson

Reaction score
Well, when you have no finger nails it seems difficult :). I asked my wife and she couldn't get it out. So it just slides out? I wasn't sure if there was something holding it in. I didn't want to force it out if that was the case. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Not sure why they couldn't make it a little easier to get out like the sd card.......

klep33

Reaction score
I don't have nails either. Try using your finger to apply downward pressure on the card while pulling it out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

leobg

Reaction score
A set of tweezers could come handful.
Or poke the visible end of the sim with a sharp object (just to get grip) and pull a bit out - then you will have enough surface to pull it with your fingertips.

Once you get it in out 2-3 times it will 'break-in' and won't be as tight :)

A word of advice - before you leave - grab a sim card from a friend (doesn't matter what active or not - just not Verizon/Vodaphone) and make sure unlock code you got works. Given some facts you can see here, you may get some back and forth with Verizon before you get it working. Last thing you want is to try doing this while on your trip...

OP
G

gcarson

Reaction score
Thank you. I managed to pull it out with some tweezers while only chipping a small portion of it :)

Unfortunately, all my friends are VZW so I can't try another sim card. Its really unfortunate with their global data plans. Unlimited was great. 70mb / month pro rated is worthless. I know there are a few threads on there about it but I can't believe there's not more. I ran the numbers with the CS person on the phone.. If I stay on my current monthly pace, my bill for my trip would be $1,000 or so. Essentially, I'll use up all my data in the first 6 hours of turning on my phone. If I do nothing but only receive all my emails (which is like 300-400 a day through various accounts), I'll be way over.

What have others done that went overseas with these low data options? Does everyone just get a sim card? Only use wi-fi?

leobg

Reaction score
Buy some sim off ebay - they are cheap, often under a dollar shipping included - t-mobile, at&t - doesn't matter. You don't want to assume unlock code you were given is a good one - believe me...

Ultim8gamr

Reaction score
I used a pencil eraser to push my sim card out and and borrow a friends att card to test the unlock code

haro

Reaction score
use cellotape to remove d simkad
tape it on then pull gently

so wat ur story using other simkad?
any luck?

OP
G

gcarson

Reaction score
Well, I'm leaving tonight for the UK so I don't have time to pre-buy a sim card unfortunately. I knew they had changed the data plan as I was overseas last month during the change (I was on unlimited but dropped it when I returned). I didn't realize how little 70 mb is and that I essentially couldn't turn on my phone without wi-fi. I'm not even sure why they offer the plan as my daily emails will blow through that.

So, I'm just going to go there and buy a prepaid sim card. We'll see how it goes. I'll report back on my success (or lack there of). If it doesn't work, I'm sure I'll be wasting time calling VZW support as I did on my last overseas trip in January. They were charging for overseas data but conveniently forgot to active our sim cards. And then they kind of blamed it on us that we didn't active it.

Ultim8gamr

Reaction score
Sim unlock was easy and successful with the free code from vzw global support. Band lock for us carriers still affected