Droid 2 Global Unlock & foreign SIM?

Soucouant61

Reaction score
I am one of the fools who bought the BB Storm 1. The crappiest smart phone ever. However, the one good thing was I was able to call Verizon's international support and they gave me a number that unlocked the phone. This enabled me to use local SIMs when traveling overseas. Is this going to be the case with the D2G?

r314bd

Reaction score
I am one of the fools who bought the BB Storm 1. The crappiest smart phone ever. However, the one good thing was I was able to call Verizon's international support and they gave me a number that unlocked the phone. This enabled me to use local SIMs when traveling overseas. Is this going to be the case with the D2G?
Yes :) I already called VZW Global Support and unlocked mine yesterday. As long as your line has had 6 months of good payment history, they will unlock the SIM for you.

Once you get your phone just call VZW Global Support at 1-800-711-8300 and ask for the unlock code. It took me three different tries since the first two reps thought the codes weren't available for the D2 Global yet, but the third rep gave me one that worked, so they definitely have them.

OP
S

Soucouant61

Reaction score
Thanks for the number. I going on 7 years with V so it should be all good.

MrsAce

Reaction score
I am going on a 15 day cruise, was just wondering if it is worth getting a sim chip for my Global phone. I am spoiled and want to use my phone while gone, without paying lots of money. Got any ideas.

craigg

Reaction score
For those looking to unlock the sim card you can get the code from Verizon Global support (908) 559-4899. I was able to get the code but when I place my international sim card in the phone and switch to GSM only I receive no signal. I have a case established with Verizon and Motorola as I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or something else. I hope that someone here can call and verify that after entering the unlock code if they actually can make and receive calls.

llanelwy

Reaction score
For those looking to unlock the sim card you can get the code from Verizon Global support (908) 559-4899. I was able to get the code but when I place my international sim card in the phone and switch to GSM only I receive no signal. I have a case established with Verizon and Motorola as I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or something else. I hope that someone here can call and verify that after entering the unlock code if they actually can make and receive calls.

Did you get any resolution on this. I am trying to decide between a regular droid2 and the global. If you cant unlock it i will not go with the global.

craigg

Reaction score
There has been no resolution yet. I will post a reply as soon as I hear from VZW.

Did you get any resolution on this. I am trying to decide between a regular droid2 and the global. If you cant unlock it i will not go with the global.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moved to the Droid 2 Global general discussion section

r314bd

Reaction score
Anyone going abroad with a SIM unlocked Droid 2 Global soon?

We haven't been able to determine whether the Droid 2 Global will actually work with other GSM networks since in the USA no GSM networks appear as available after running a network scan.

It's possible that VZW somehow has a carrier lock in the USA in spite of the SIM being unlocked, but that it will still work on foreign GSM networks.

I'm not going abroad for about a month but if anyone has the opportunity to test this abroad for us sooner that would be awesome.

craigg

Reaction score
I believe there is more to this than VZW simply locking the phone to their own sim. While it is conceivable that they could lock out all US based carriers it doesn't make any sense to me and seems counter productive. I have a UK sim that allows me to roam in over 200 countries. In the US I usually can access either AT&T or T-Mobile depending on the signal quality yet with the D2 Global I have no signal, as if the radio were turned off. At present no one at VZW wireless or Motorola has an answer regarding this and it has already been escalated beyond level 2 support. I will post a reply as I hear more from them.

chriskan

Reaction score
Anyone going abroad with a SIM unlocked Droid 2 Global soon?

We haven't been able to determine whether the Droid 2 Global will actually work with other GSM networks since in the USA no GSM networks appear as available after running a network scan.

It's possible that VZW somehow has a carrier lock in the USA in spite of the SIM being unlocked, but that it will still work on foreign GSM networks.

I'm not going abroad for about a month but if anyone has the opportunity to test this abroad for us sooner that would be awesome.

I'm at the airport now, waiting to board a plane to Italy with my Droid 2 Global (got it last night). I've gotten my Verizon SIM card activated but I didnt' get an unlock code (don't plan on using that much so no reason to switch SIMs). I will report if it works.

Chris
Als Ik Kan

r314bd

Reaction score
I'm at the airport now, waiting to board a plane to Italy with my Droid 2 Global (got it last night). I've gotten my Verizon SIM card activated but I didnt' get an unlock code (don't plan on using that much so no reason to switch SIMs). I will report if it works.

Chris
Als Ik Kan
Right on...have a good trip :)

chriskan

Reaction score
Well, I'm in Schipol airport in Amsterdam, on the way to Italy, and I can verify that the Droid 2 Global is a global phone. I'm connected to the Vodafone network here. Of course, there was a mess up when I activated my SIM before I left - for some reason, it didn't take. Had to call Verizon Global Support on a colleague's global Blackberry to get it straightened out. But, bottom line, the Droid 2 Global can connect to foreign networks using Verizon's SIM card.

Chris
Als Ik Kan

r314bd

Reaction score
Of course, there was a mess up when I activated my SIM before I left - for some reason, it didn't take. Had to call Verizon Global Support on a colleague's global Blackberry to get it straightened out.
Any idea what the problem was? Was international roaming just not activated on your line?

gilmourd

Reaction score
But, bottom line, the Droid 2 Global can connect to foreign networks using Verizon's SIM card.

Good to know that a Verizon SIM will work on foreign networks.

Chriskan: If you get a chance to unlock your phone while overseas and please try it with a foreign SIM, it would help a lot of people, including myself, not living in the US but want this phone. Thanks in advance.

On that note, has any one got a foreign SIM working on an unlocked D2G yet?

Last edited: