D2G Help receiving txt msgs

v8killer

Reaction score
Okay,

I just bought a unlocked D2G and got it shipped out here to me in Afghanistan to keep in contact with home. If someone can tell me how I can check to see if it is unlocked that would be great. The sim card I am using is Etisalat. The way it works for the data plan here is that they send you a txt msg with the settings for your phone. You open the txt and save the settings and presto your supposed to be good to go as it worked for my Nokia N97. The problem is I am not getting those txt msgs on my Droid. I can call my guys here and send/receive txt msgs just fine not to mention call back to the US just fine. I pull the sim card out and put it back in my Nokia N97 and all those txt msgs for the settings of the D2G come pouring in. I can't forward the txt from a buddies phone it won't let us b/c you have to put in a pin number to open the txt. I messed with the APN earlier from a early post but then realized I wasn't on a 3g network and that did me no good.:icon_eek: Also for Etisalat I have to dial *123# to check my credits and I can't even do that b/c it pops up USSD connecting and eventually just stops. So I am in some bad shape right now if anybody can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I am not sure if this will help but in the txt the msg is as follows
Access points:
ETA MMS
ETA WEB
ETA WAP
Multimedia access points:
ETA MMS
WEB Settings:
Browser

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
v8killer, APNs aren't used by the SMS (text messages). Only MMS and internet access requires you to configure APNs, so it's not about that.

Your phone is also definitely GSM-unlocked; if it wasn't, you'd just get the "SIM network unlock" request every time you power it up with no access to calls or anything else over GSM networks.

The reason it doesn't receive texts might be either incompatibility with the carrier or the SIM card used, or some software glitch in the phone itself.

You should try contacting your carrier to swap the SIM card. A new one might just help you get rid of this issue.

USSD requests will not work at all. There is no fix for that.

OP
V

v8killer

Reaction score
Update from Etisalat

Okay I contacted Etisalat for the settings so I put them in manually. I am having some issues.

To do the manual configuration follow up the followings:

1. Go to the main menu
2. Click tools or option
3. Click the setting option
4. Select the connection
5. Select the access points
6. Create new profile
7. Put the connection name (wap etisalat or Ea)
8. Data bearer (packet data)
9. APN (access point name) etisalat.af.wap
10. No user name and password is required
11. Click the option.
12. Go to the advanced setting
13. Network type is(IPv4) <<<< I have no idea where that is

14. Put the proxy number (10.0.0.172)
15. Put the port number (80) or (8080)
16. Return back to the connection menu
17. Select the packet data
18. Put the access point name (etisalat.af.wap)

Note: sometimes it will not work or gives you massage while browsing
that packet data failure in this case just switch off the mobile and
switch it on again it will work.
> Name: EA WAP
> APN: etisalat.af.wap
> Proxy: 10.0.0.172
> Port: 80
> Username: Empty
> Password: Empty
> Server: Empty
> MMSC: Empty
> MMS Proxy: Empty
> MMS port: Empty
> MCC: Empty <<<This won't let me leave it empty you have to
input some numbers

> MNC: Empty<<< Same with this one
> Authentication Type: Empty
> APN Type: GPRS

They sent me the settings for the A956, which is the same as the world phone correct? I asked for A956W b/c that is what is on the box but they don't have the settings for that so I just figured this would work. Any help would be appreciated.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
These settings are not for SMS. They're for WAP browsing. As I have already stated, SMS doesn't use mobile data. Also, “APN type: GPRS” is in no way related to MMS as well, it's only used for internet access.

SMS should never require manual configuration. If it doesn't work, your SIM card might be incompatible or malfuctioning. I have already stated this before in this thread.

The only exception would be when your carrier allows SMS over GPRS, however, that should not work out of the box on any regular phone as well, thus I doubt that this method is in use.

Last edited:
OP
V

v8killer

Reaction score
These settings are not for SMS. They're for WAP browsing. As I have already stated, SMS doesn't use mobile data. Also, “APN type: GPRS” is in no way related to MMS as well, it's only used for internet access.

SMS should never require manual configuration. If it doesn't work, your SIM card might be incompatible or malfuctioning. I have already stated this before in this thread.

The only exception would be when your carrier allows SMS over GPRS, however, that should not work out of the box on any regular phone as well, thus I doubt that this method is in use.

Sorry I should have stated this. The problem I was having with the txting was that I needed the settings for my phone to access the internet with the Etisalat carrier those settings are what they sent in order to configure my droid to gain access to the internet.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Oh.
Makes much more sense, then.

Just leave MCC/MNC with their default values, and ignore that “Network type” they told you about.

OP
V

v8killer

Reaction score
Oh.
Makes much more sense, then.

Just leave MCC/MNC with their default values, and ignore that “Network type” they told you about.

Okay I left the MCC and MNC alone and just saved it. Still no internet. I don't know what else to do.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Have you activated the APN in the list?

It should look like “EA WAP*** O” by default, where O is a circle. If you touch that circle, it should turn green, which means APN is enabled.

Make sure that in your Settings, you have “Data enabled” checked as well.

Once that is as well verified, head to “About Phone” → “Status” and check the Network Type. It should say GPRS, EDGE, or something like that.

OP
V

v8killer

Reaction score
Have you activated the APN in the list?

It should look like “EA WAP*** O” by default, where O is a circle. If you touch that circle, it should turn green, which means APN is enabled.

Make sure that in your Settings, you have “Data enabled” checked as well.

Once that is as well verified, head to “About Phone” → “Status” and check the Network Type. It should say GPRS, EDGE, or something like that.

network is on edge and the circle is green but still no internet