D2 vs. snow and freezing temps

gohoosiers

Reaction score
My D2 fell out of my pocket during a snowball fight a couple of Fridays ago. I didn't realize it until the next morning and by then it was buried under 4" of snow. I kicked snow around for a few hours, but couldn't find it. Calling it and using Lookout to make it scream didn't help. I figured water had gotten in to the speaker by then and it was ruined. Temps over the next couple of days were in the single digits. I reactivated my old Blackberry.

By the following Wednesday, the snow had melted enough that I found it in my yard. I removed the battery, and stuck it in a plastic bag with a desiccant package and rice and put it in my refrigerator, figuring that thawing it out slowly would be best. After a day in the fridge, I left it sitting in the bag for two more days at room temp.

Finally, on Saturday morning, I installed the battery and charged it up. Remarkably, everything has worked fine so far. I am able to connect to wi-fi, all my apps work. Camera and camcorder work. Music player works.

The only thing that seems a little flaky is GPS and Maps. And I'm wondering, do these require a data connection as well as GPS satellites to perform all their functions?

I am waiting until the end of my current billing cycle, then I am going to reactivate with Verizon to see if phone still works.

born2golf

Reaction score
google maps requires a data connection of some sort (wifi or 3g) to get your map view. the GPS by itself only communicates to the satellites to determine where you are. That information is passed to google maps who then send you back the map view of you location. If your wifi is working, you should be able to use google maps. I would suggest going outside but still in range of your wifi to see if that helps.

OP
G

gohoosiers

Reaction score
Thanks. GPS and maps did function when I was connected to my work WiFi, so I figured that was the case. I will be reactivating my D2 today, so, hopefully, the 3G will work. Overall, I'm impressed that it survived this ordeal, even though I didn't do everything by the book.dancedroid

crazyrunner33

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my Droid 1, except the battery cover was missing. It had a little hangover at first like your's did but it worked just fine.

164719_10150356512250705_639415704_16054478_3944354_n.jpg