D2 battery issues

wustehase

Reaction score
I've had my D2 for about a week now, and I've been noticing that my battery will go from 100% to dead in about 4 hours, give or take, and that my phone runs pretty hot all the time (like 95-105F). I'm seeing one app, Taskiller, on the battery manager running at 14%, just under dispkay. My phone is rooted and running set-cpu, so that might be an issue as well. Has anyone else experienced issues like mine, or know how to improve, if not outright fix, my battery life and heat? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't run task killer, you don't need it, let the OS manage itself, it does it pretty darn well. I know some believe in these things, but IMHO they are unnecessary.

I'm rooted and running setcpu (and have on D1 as well) and don't believe it's your problem.

You can set profiles in SetCPU to reduce CPU usage, for example, I have mine set to clock the CPU down to 300 max when the screen is asleep.

I would suggest you uninstall task killer, then set CPU to clock down to 300 when screen is asleep, reboot and see how your battery usage goes.

If it still runs hot/gives you problems, do a factory reset (Settings>Personal) and after your apps all reinstall see what happens.

Still problems - call or visit VZW.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have all your fail safes set up on your Set CPU? Task killer is definitely bad, take it off of there you don't need it. Also check your battery to see what it says is using your battery. Probably the overclocking is why it's running hot, that's why I say make sure you've got SetCPU settings all set up.

Let us know if that helps at all. Battery shouldn't run dead in 4 hours under normal usage.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hookbill: You can't overclock a D2, only underclock...the bootloader has not been unlocked yet. Nothing we can currently do in SetCPU on the D2 should result in higher temperatures, AFAIK, since we can only reduce the clock speed, not increase it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hookbill: You can't overclock a D2, only underclock...the bootloader has not been unlocked yet. Nothing we can currently do in SetCPU on the D2 should result in higher temperatures, AFAIK, since we can only reduce the clock speed, not increase it.

Then why is he running SetCPU? I just assumed it was overclocked.

So the only reason to root for D2 is to remove bloatware and get extra apps right now?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Then why is he running SetCPU? I just assumed it was overclocked.

So the only reason to root for D2 is to remove bloatware and get extra apps right now?

As I noted, you can run SetCPU and set it to underclock your Droid 2 when it is sleeping...reduces battery consumption. You can also set it to underclock if the battery gets low, or if the temperature gets high...

Currently on the D2 there are a couple ROMs available, so you can try one of those, manually reduce bloatware if you want to, and run apps that require root (Titanium backup, Clockwork Recovery, SetCPU, Droid Root Explorer, etc.).