D/C power supply ideas?

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Okay this is getting silly.
I can't find a cigarette lighter power charger that will charge this phone.

The stock A/C adapter puts up to 800ma into the Rezound, according to battery monitor widget.

I bought several cigarette lighter adapters that claim to put out 1 2 or even 3 amps, but none manage to push the battery monitor widget reading even into the positive range, much less charge the phone effectively.

Anybody have a solution?

Thanks
B

acejavelin

Reaction score
Does the phone charge properly with the factory A/C (1A) charger? If it does then it should charge fine with any QUALITY car charger, so it it doesn't then something is wrong the charger or your car. I use a Verizon store charger in my work van and a standard micro-usb charger from Sam's club in my personal vehicle and either one charges either phone fine, in fact, the Verizon one (with a spare cable) will charge both of my Rezounds at the same time.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Yes. The phone charges perfectly with the stock a/c charger, though some aftermarket a/c chargers yield different results.

It's the d/c chargers that are the problem.

B

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The sure fire solution is an inexpensive inverter that plugs into the cig lighter and allow you to use the wall charger. But I'm guessing there are USB chargers that will output enough volts/ma to work.

billmcg

Reaction score
There is a simple mod to "short" the center pins on a cheap USB cigarette lighter charger - instructions are easy to find. I bought several - and modded them and they charge as "AC" when plugged into the car. I also tried several high priced DC chargers that claimed to charge at the full rate and they failed. The mod worked for me - I have been using them for months without issue. It really is quite simple and well worth it -

acejavelin

Reaction score
I am against "hacking" a power supply, although the principles of electricity in this are simple, most people don't have the knowledge to make the changes correctly.

Simple answer, buy a quality product... that doesn't mean you have to spend a ton of money. The top rated car charger on Amazon.com with 4.8 out of 5 with 123 reviews for the white version and 4.5 out of 157 reviews for the black version, is made by Anker, and is $12.

White: Amazon.com: Anker® 18W / 3.6A (2.1A + 1.5A) Car Charger with Built-in Micro USB Cord for Android - The First and Smallest Adapter to Deliver Simultaneous, Full-Speed Charges to iPads and Smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories
Black: Amazon.com: Anker® 15W 3.1A High Output Simul-Port Car Charger: USB Port for iPhones and iPads, Built-in Micro USB Cable for Android Phones - Black [Apple Cable NOT Included]: Cell Phones & Accessories

Also, if you read the reviews, all Android devices connected to this charger show "A/C charging".

What is happening here is the charger/phone combinations you have been using are only charging the phone at USB current rates (500ma) which will only maintain or slowly charge the phone. This COULD be a phone issue, with a bad charging port, but using a D/C charger that reports itself as a A/C charger will get around this.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought a USB car adapter(dual port USB) and use a stand-alone USB cable. It's charged every phone I've owned including my Rez. If you're not getting proper charge on the phone then maybe look at what you're running. You may be exceeding the electric draw.

TerenceL

Reaction score
Anker is overpriced. You can have a try with RAVPower Car Charger $8.99 (Black / White)

Amazon.com: RAVPower® Car Charger (Dual USB 15.5W / 3.1Amps Output,), for Apple and Android Devices including iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad 4, 3, 2, Mini, iPods, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2, etc. RP-CC01: Kindle Store

I am against "hacking" a power supply, although the principles of electricity in this are simple, most people don't have the knowledge to make the changes correctly.

Simple answer, buy a quality product... that doesn't mean you have to spend a ton of money. The top rated car charger on Amazon.com with 4.8 out of 5 with 123 reviews for the white version and 4.5 out of 157 reviews for the black version, is made by Anker, and is $12.

White: Amazon.com: Anker® 18W / 3.6A (2.1A + 1.5A) Car Charger with Built-in Micro USB Cord for Android - The First and Smallest Adapter to Deliver Simultaneous, Full-Speed Charges to iPads and Smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories
Black: Amazon.com: Anker® 15W 3.1A High Output Simul-Port Car Charger: USB Port for iPhones and iPads, Built-in Micro USB Cable for Android Phones - Black [Apple Cable NOT Included]: Cell Phones & Accessories

Also, if you read the reviews, all Android devices connected to this charger show "A/C charging".

What is happening here is the charger/phone combinations you have been using are only charging the phone at USB current rates (500ma) which will only maintain or slowly charge the phone. This COULD be a phone issue, with a bad charging port, but using a D/C charger that reports itself as a A/C charger will get around this.

acejavelin

Reaction score
LOL... you realize the Anker is $9.99, right? not really that over priced at about a $1 more than the one you mentioned. I was just giving examples, the real point was to read the reviews and make an informed decision. I am sure if you dig enough and do your homework, you can find a charger for even less that will do the job.