Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP

franky4fingers

Reaction score
I have read hundreds of threads in several forums pretty much for the last four days. Ever since I upgraded from the Razr to the Razr MAXX ICS, I’ve had nothing but trouble with the battery drain and the phone gets extremely HOT. The Razr Maxx ICS has worse battery drain than the Razr. From what I’ve read in tons of threads, there is a bug that keeps the Media App running in the background which causes the CPU to “Keep Awake”. It’s like you’re watching a movie all day long. According to most threads, everyone is waiting for an update from Google to fix these issues. There are lots and lots of people who are having the EXACT same issues and some have ideas or “fixes” but no one seems to have a REAL fix! Here are a few I’ve tried:

1. Wipe cache partition 3X in a row.
2. Factory Reset 3X in a row.
3. Don’t use the Power Off button for screen timeout. Let it go off automatically.
4. Open the camera and use the back button to go back to the main menu to turn off camera sensor.
5. After charging all night, turn on phone and open up any app before you unplug.
6. Install GSam Battery Monitor from the market and disable Media. (This one works so far)

None of these worked for me but some claim it works for them. I installed GSam about 2 hours ago and disabled the Media App. I'm hoping this will give me temporary fix until Google comes out with a permanent solution.

My question is…
Does anyone know of something else to fix this bug???

Thanks!
Frank

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Usually holding volume down and power and letting the device reboot will do the trick to stop runaway apps. You must be on 211. Some of us have switched to 215 and had better results.. but other than that, FDR's usually always fix it.

Is it possible that you have an app that's keeping the media app running?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I second 94lt1’s opinion. .211 has been problematic for many and the .215 leak has been virtually problem-free. I suggest you visit http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html thread and read through the process for upgrading, then when you're ready to take the plunge post a note to the thread and let the members know so you will have sort if things go wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
F

franky4fingers

Reaction score
Installing .215 Leak

Usually holding volume down and power and letting the device reboot will do the trick to stop runaway apps. You must be on 211. Some of us have switched to 215 and had better results.. but other than that, FDR's usually always fix it.

Is it possible that you have an app that's keeping the media app running?

94lt1,
Yes, I've tried holding the power and Volume down. I've done several FDR's as well as Wipe Cache. As far as runaway apps, there are just a couple of apps I installed and I barely even use them. ie.. Facebook, Astro.... I just installed .215 and will see if it helps.

Thank you FoxKat for posting "MattyP's .215 Leak Classroom thread"

I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for the feedback.
Frank

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You may also try booting into safe mode to see if the problem persists... to do this.. power off, power on and as soon as you see the M screen.. press and hold volume-/+ . Keep them held down..

Your device will continue to boot up, and will vibrate a short and long vibration and then say safe mode on the bottom left hand side of the screen.

Use it like this for a while... see if the problem persists.

missjaye

Reaction score
Upgraded to 215 and still have media/ heat problem

I recently updated to 215 and it did NOT fix my problem. My husband has a razr Maxx with ICS but does not have a problem. I am on my 3rd phone because of the problem. It gets soooooo hot and the media apps drains the battery to nothing in a matter of hours. Anyone come up with a fix yet?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Did you try doing a couple of FDR's back to back? It helped some people.. others, not so much.

OP
F

franky4fingers

Reaction score
Fix

I recently updated to 215 and it did NOT fix my problem. My husband has a razr Maxx with ICS but does not have a problem. I am on my 3rd phone because of the problem. It gets soooooo hot and the media apps drains the battery to nothing in a matter of hours. Anyone come up with a fix yet?

missjaye,
After posting my problem then installing GSam Battery Monitor my battery literally lasts me from when I wake to when I go to bed with 20% left. (6AM-11PM) The Media App was sucking all my battery and GSam allowed me to disable it permanently. Before, I tried everything. I went back to Verizon twice and both times they gave me another phone. I also tried everything else; Factory Data Resets, Wiping Caches, upgrading to 215. NOTHING worked! I was seriously considering going back to my DroidX. I know that ICS still has a problem but this app solved it so far. Hope this helps!

Frank

missjaye

Reaction score
still no luck :(

Hi All,

I downloaded and install GSam and tried to stop the media app. It says it's disabled, but still shows up as running and appears to still be draining my phone fast! My phone is HOT.

I am soooo frustrated. This is my 3rd Razr Maxx since the ICS upgrade :(

Lowflyer1

Reaction score
I too noticed increased battery drain when upgraded to ICS. I found that if I return to home, then hold down the home button all my open apps come up. (This is a good was to switch between open apps by the way, without going to home. But if you want to see them ALL including the one you left, go home first.) Then swipe all open apps off the screen so nothing is running. I can now go over 24 hours without a charge, depending on usage. Good luck.

moset

Reaction score
I have read hundreds of threads in several forums pretty much for the last four days. Ever since I upgraded from the Razr to the Razr MAXX ICS, I’ve had nothing but trouble with the battery drain and the phone gets extremely HOT. The Razr Maxx ICS has worse battery drain than the Razr. From what I’ve read in tons of threads, there is a bug that keeps the Media App running in the background which causes the CPU to “Keep Awake”. It’s like you’re watching a movie all day long. According to most threads, everyone is waiting for an update from Google to fix these issues. There are lots and lots of people who are having the EXACT same issues and some have ideas or “fixes” but no one seems to have a REAL fix! Here are a few I’ve tried:

1.Wipe cache partition 3X in a row.
2.Factory Reset 3X in a row.
3.Don’t use the Power Off button for screen timeout. Let it go off automatically.
4.Open the camera and use the back button to go back to the main menu to turn off camera sensor.
5.After charging all night, turn on phone and open up any app before you unplug.
6.Install GSam Battery Monitor from the market and disable Media. (This one works so far)

None of these worked for me but some claim it works for them. I installed GSam about 2 hours ago and disabled the Media App. I'm hoping this will give me temporary fix until Google comes out with a permanent solution.

My question is…
Does anyone know of something else to fix this bug???

Thanks!
Frank

In item 3 you say to allow the screen to time out instead of pressing power button, I've read this before but I don't understand how it could help.
The screen is the biggest user of battery, it seems letting it stay on would only use more power.
Can someone please explain?

OP
F

franky4fingers

Reaction score
MissJaye- Force Stop MEDIA APP every morning

Hi All,

I downloaded and install GSam and tried to stop the media app. It says it's disabled, but still shows up as running and appears to still be draining my phone fast! My phone is HOT.

I am soooo frustrated. This is my 3rd Razr Maxx since the ICS upgrade :(

MissJaye,

I know it's frustrating because sometimes during the day, I notice that by mid-morning I'm at 40% battery life. I immediately know who the culprit is! MEDIA APP! I open GSam and sure enough, it's enabled. I have to force stop it and it will stop it. I think I have figured out why it automatically enables itself. Maybe one of the gurus here can comment if I'm right or wrong. Sometimes at night before bedtime, I turn my phone off to charge overnight. When I turn it on in the AM, MEDIA APP must turn itself back on. So now, I am conscious to open GSam and disable and force stop MEDIA APP. Just to see the difference with MEDIA APP not running. I took a screenshot the other day to compare what a difference it makes.

Hope this helps

OP
F

franky4fingers

Reaction score
Screen Timeout

In item 3 you say to allow the screen to time out instead of pressing power button, I've read this before but I don't understand how it could help.
The screen is the biggest user of battery, it seems letting it stay on would only use more power.
Can someone please explain?

Moset,
If you set your phone down, your phone's screen will automatically timeout by itself.(The same as if you press the power button) There's a known glitch with some ICS phones that if you press the power button, it actually keeps the phone "awake".

You posted "it seems letting it stay on would only use more power" Your phone doesn't "stay on" . It eventually will "turn off" depending on what you have your sleep set to.

Go to SETTINGS/DISPLAY/SLEEP change to 15 seconds or 30 seconds.

Hope this helps.

moset

Reaction score
Moset,
If you set your phone down, your phone's screen will automatically timeout by itself.(The same as if you press the power button) There's a known glitch with some ICS phones that if you press the power button, it actually keeps the phone "awake".

You posted "it seems letting it stay on would only use more power" Your phone doesn't "stay on" . It eventually will "turn off" depending on what you have your sleep set to.

Go to SETTINGS/DISPLAY/SLEEP change to 15 seconds or 30 seconds.

Hope this helps.

I see. According to GSam my held awake time is less than 1% consistently. If i look at the stock battery graph awake time tracks screen on time almost exactly.
This was not the case prior to wiping system cache in stock recovery. Something was misbehaving and causing keep awake to be very high even with screen off.
Therefore I do not see allowing my screen to time out as helpful to me. I can understand the issue, but I guess I'm lucky not to have that one.
I get about 12 hours out of my Maxx with almost 6 hours of screen on time. That seems to be a little better than with GB.
The screen uses a little more battery per time on, but the system uses considerable less.
All phones are a little different as is usage by different people.
The logic just didn't add up until you add the keep awake to the mix.