CyanogenMod style Apps2SD in Froyo

ps5281

Reaction score
Ok, novice user here so grant me some leeway. I've been playing around with the Froyo releases and have had huge issues with the apps2SD feature. Obviously the apps2SD on CyanogenMod is flawless. I want to use the sdext partition to store my apps and not the folder that Froyo uses.

How can I accomplish this?

I've done a ton of researching and these are some of things I've tried to varying degrees of success towards this goal. First, thing I tried was taking the settings.apk and use it in place of the standard on in the Froyo roms. It works to the point that I get the Apps2SD option, but it is grayed out.

So I'm thinking my next step is the phone needs something to make it load and recognize the sdext partition on the SD card, right? From what I can gather this is done by a special kernal...?

Am I going in the right direction? Completely in left field and wasting my time...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

supersaki

Reaction score
Ok, novice user here so grant me some leeway. I've been playing around with the Froyo releases and have had huge issues with the apps2SD feature. Obviously the apps2SD on CyanogenMod is flawless. I want to use the sdext partition to store my apps and not the folder that Froyo uses.

How can I accomplish this?

I've done a ton of researching and these are some of things I've tried to varying degrees of success towards this goal. First, thing I tried was taking the settings.apk and use it in place of the standard on in the Froyo roms. It works to the point that I get the Apps2SD option, but it is grayed out.

So I'm thinking my next step is the phone needs something to make it load and recognize the sdext partition on the SD card, right? From what I can gather this is done by a special kernal...?

Am I going in the right direction? Completely in left field and wasting my time...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping we just have to wait for CM6

Darkseider

Reaction score
Just click on the link in my signature. It gives instructions on how to enable global install to SD card even when downloading from market. There are a handful of apps that will not install to SD at this point with these settings. The Com2us games and the Verizon apps. Pretty much everything else installs or can be moved and works fine. My suggestion though is to not move anything that you need to run on startup OR has a widget that you use.

wbmason1

Reaction score
Will you be able to see the apps in the app drawer? That's the biggest problem I'm having. I move the apps to the sd card, then they don't show up in the app drawer anymore.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Will you be able to see the apps in the app drawer? That's the biggest problem I'm having. I move the apps to the sd card, then they don't show up in the app drawer anymore.

What launcher are you using? This was something I noticed as well as my desktop icons becoming generic "android" icons....

Restarting my launcher made everything right again. I typically have to "restart launcherpro" after every power off/power on cycle.

I'm guessing the launcher loads faster than the system is able to mount and read the SD Card for apps moved there.

Once I restart the launcher, all my icons pop back up in my app drawer and all my shortcuts on the home screens get their proper icon images.

wbmason1

Reaction score
I'm using LauncherPro also. I'll try it out. Thank you for your prompt response!!!!! Much appreciated!! :icon_ banana:

wbmason1

Reaction score
Ok, so far, it's not working. I moved some apps to sd and it has worked with some but others, the tray icon doesn't come back. I don't even get the generic droid icon, it's just gone. Even after re-starting LauncherPro. Any ideas?

Nevermind, I guess I just wasn't waiting long enough for the tray icons to pop back up. Thanks again, that trick is working!

OP
P

ps5281

Reaction score
Just click on the link in my signature. It gives instructions on how to enable global install to SD card even when downloading from market. There are a handful of apps that will not install to SD at this point with these settings. The Com2us games and the Verizon apps. Pretty much everything else installs or can be moved and works fine. My suggestion though is to not move anything that you need to run on startup OR has a widget that you use.

I saw that when you first posted it, for some reason I can't get that to work right for me. It maybe that I have over 200 apps/games/widgets etc on my phone and it cant handle a large number of apps? When I restore all the apps to the SD in Froyo it frequently hangs forcing me to reboot. Other times when I do get all my apps over there after a reboot (and waiting overnight even) the icons in the app manager are all grayed out and "computing" appears in the data areas. Also, when that happens I can't install any apps from anywhere, the phone hangs on the install....

I'm still looking to reverse engineer the CyanogenMod method if it's not included in CM6

Mayze

Reaction score
I hope and pray that the apps2sd that is used in CM 5.0.8. is implemented in 5.6.

I've had nothing but trouble out of all the apps2sd that's used in the current 2.2 roms.

OP
P

ps5281

Reaction score
I hope and pray that the apps2sd that is used in CM 5.0.8. is implemented in 5.6.

I've had nothing but trouble out of all the apps2sd that's used in the current 2.2 roms.

Agreed. If not I plan on staying with 5.8