Will the apps2sd from CyanogenMod be compatible with apps2sd in FroYo?

Taegost

Reaction score
I did a search and was unable to find anyone asking this specific question, and I dunno if it's still too early yet, but I've been wanting to set up apps2sd, but with the functionality coming in FroYo, I wanted to see if anyone knew if they are compatible.
I want to move some of my larger and less-used apps out of internal memory, but if there's going to be a compatibility issue, I may just wait until Cyanogenmod with a 2.2 base...
Or at least to be prepared to reformat the SD card, which isn't too big of a deal.
Thanks in advance!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
They are not the same implementation and are not compatible.

Though I can't see why once a CM 2.2 based version comes out you couldn't do both methods.

2.2 uses the same Fat32 partition and apps have to be written with this in mind to use this feature. Primarily because if you mount your phone to the PC the phone no longer sees the SD card Fat32 partition (your computer does). If an app you were using was on the SD card and you mounted it to your PC...some serious issues could arise.

Apps2SD requires a reformat of your SD card, allocating a section separate from the Fat32 partition which the phone always sees, allowing you to still mount the Fat32 partition to your computer.

OP
Taegost

Taegost

Reaction score
Thanks tcrews, you gave a much better answer then I was looking for!
That actually gives me all the information I needed, it sounds like the current implementation is superior to the FroYo implementation.
I'll repartition it tonight and wait for Koush to bring us the FroYo goodness :)