Customizing Notifications

Reaction score
I am ok with putting on ringtones. I cant remember how in the past I put on a custom email or text notification. I went to the setting to change it,but my custom ones do not appear on the list. I know
on my thunderbolt, I was able to do it. Is this still the case or you have to use the stock notifications? TY

aarong03

Reaction score
I am ok with putting on ringtones. I cant remember how in the past I put on a custom email or text notification. I went to the setting to change it,but my custom ones do not appear on the list. I know
on my thunderbolt, I was able to do it. Is this still the case or you have to use the stock notifications? TY
You will only be able to change the Defaults for both Incoming calls and notifcations through the systems setting in the phone menu. I use Rings Extends for my ringtones. It keeps all of them in it. When change the ringtone it should pull up and an option window opens asking Complete action using. Then you can select what ever app you're using for ringtones, and you should be able to see all your ringtones. Others on this forum may have a better method, but this has worked for me since Oringal Droid and my Maxx through ICS. You will see some other suggestions from people soon to try also.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
as aaron said above, but you can go into your email settings for gmail and then pick a custom notification for you email there. After that you can have custom rings, custom text and another for email.

David

OP
R
Reaction score
If I am using gmail as my email, is there a way to have a different text and email notification, or they both have to be the same?

YellowJacket

Reaction score
If I am using gmail as my email, is there a way to have a different text and email notification, or they both have to be the same?

Yes. I have one alert set for text messages and another set for emails.

To set the default alert - which will end up being the one for texts - go into settings and then sound and set your "default notification" to whatever you want.

Next, open gmail and choose settings. From settings, choose your default account and then check the checkbox next to email notifications and below that you can choose your notification that you want for your emails.

Once that is done you will get the default notification for texts and whatever other notification you picked for emails.

David

aarong03

Reaction score
YellowJacket said:
Yes. I have one alert set for text messages and another set for emails.

To set the default alert - which will end up being the one for texts - go into settings and then sound and set your "default notification" to whatever you want.

Next, open gmail and choose settings. From settings, choose your default account and then check the checkbox next to email notifications and below that you can choose your notification that you want for your emails.

Once that is done you will get the default notification for texts and whatever other notification you picked for emails.

David
You can also have all your contacts have their own different ringtone/notification tones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

ultidad

Reaction score
I've got phone ringtones set for my contacts, but still don't see how to have different text notification ringtones for different contacts. If this can be done, could someone give instructions? Thx

aarong03

Reaction score
I've got phone ringtones set for my contacts, but still don't see how to have different text notification ringtones for different contacts. If this can be done, could someone give instructions? Thx
For text notifications you need to go into the settings of the text app itself and pick for each person you send texts to. I have Handcent and I have to select each person I want to text and pick the ringtone for them. I hope this helps. You can only select ringtones for the contacts and not notifications.