Custom Texting Tones

mace_freley

Reaction score
Greetings all,

OK, I want to know if I can set custom tones for incoming text messages. Like if person A texts me, then tone A plays, if person B texts me, tone B plays, etc. I have custom tones for each person in my contacts when they call me, but if they text me, everyone has the same notification tone. Anyone have any idea? Cheers!

OP
M

mace_freley

Reaction score
So nobody knows if this can be done. Seems weird, even my 5 year old flip phone does this no problem. Just that I get more texts than calls and it would be nice to know who was texting by the tone. Cheers!

xious

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Handcent or ChompSMS do this, but if you like using the stock messaging app, then you can download SMS Popup. It allows you to create custom notifications per contact.

X

OP
M

mace_freley

Reaction score
So I installed HandCent and it allows me to assign the custom tone, but it just begins to play . . . . . . and then the Droid tone interrupts it and it stops. Weird. I can't believe this isn't simpler. I mean, the text message comes from a phone that has a tone assigned to it, yet it always plays the droid notification and not the custom tone. Hmmm . . .. . ..Froyo? maybe?

unknowndroid

Reaction score
So I installed HandCent and it allows me to assign the custom tone, but it just begins to play . . . . . . and then the Droid tone interrupts it and it stops. Weird. I can't believe this isn't simpler. I mean, the text message comes from a phone that has a tone assigned to it, yet it always plays the droid notification and not the custom tone. Hmmm . . .. . ..Froyo? maybe?

Ummm, that's because you still have a notification set for the stock text messaging app. Handcent notifications are for Handcent. Open the stock Text Messaging Application, hit the Menu button and select settings, then uncheck Notifications and just to be safe, change Select Ringtone to Silent. Now you will only see and hear Handcent notifications.

OP
M

mace_freley

Reaction score
Unknowndroid,

Awesome! That worked like a champ. Thanks again!

frost2fa

Reaction score
droid apps

So, i have this nagging issue when i look at app access listings.... doesnt anyone else slightly fear the concept that an app has full access to the system logs, can retrieve running apps and change network connectivity? I guess its just me maybe.