Custom ROMs affects on battery life different on unlocked phones?

ooklathemok

Reaction score
I am excited to upgrade to a Google device and not deal with locked bootloaders. It is my understanding that the process used to avoid the locked bootloader in my Droid X may have something to do with the short battery life of custom ROMs.

Yet, I am curious if all custom ROMs would perform poorly battery-wise because typically they are based off of AOSP or AOKP and therefore don't have the tweaks the phone manufacturer made to Android specific to that device?

In other words, if I bought a Galaxy Nexus and installed a custom ROM, battery life would be...

I suppose it is a dumb question and the real answer is 'it depends on the ROM.'

I just burned through my battery today in a little over 5 hours.

newmanx4

Reaction score
FYI

The Droid X boot loader is locked. There is no avoiding it.

Sent from my Black Iced X

OP
O

ooklathemok

Reaction score
FYI

The Droid X boot loader is locked. There is no avoiding it.

Yes, I know it is locked.

I have read that 2nd init ROMs have poor battery life and there is no way around it. AOKP, for example, has many battery tweaks and yet they are unavailable or do not function on our Droid X.

So my question, "Is poor battery life a given with all custom ROMs?" Thus, I will experience similar issues when I upgrade. OR is this an issue exclusive or more prevalent with 2nd init ROMs.

newmanx4

Reaction score
Battery life on 2nd init ROMs seems to be hit or miss. I see all the posts on different forums about terrible battery life, especially on the ICS ROMs. I guess its a matter of how people set their phone up and mostly how much they are using it

Myself, I get excellent battery life out of all the ROMs I use. I nandroid back and forth between CM7, AOKP, Liquid Smooth, and Black Ice. I easily get 18 hours with moderate to heavy use, much more with light use. To me that's good since I charge every night anyway. Here's a screen I took running AOKP. I don't undervolt or overclock, and I still have the original stock battery.

aee580b0-4e04-d934.jpg