Custom ROM + OTA Update Questions

kwebb

Reaction score
Hi forum-goers,

I have a rooted Droid X running Apex 1.3.1, which I installed quite some time ago. I was thinking of upgrading to Apex 2.0 (or something else, if you can convince me that something is "better"), and I saw that there was a new OTA update. I (stupidly?) did the "check for updates" option in the "about phone" settings menu, and now my phone is attempting to download and install an OTA update. I couldn't figure out how to cancel it, so I just turned off the cellular connection. :icon_eek:

So, I guess my questions are:

1) Would it be problematic to let the OTA update complete?

2) If I did decide to move from Apex 1.3.1 to 2.0 or something else, do I need to go back to the stock ROM first? I've found various instructions for replacing the stock ROM, but not for upgrading from one version to another.

3) I've seen some instructions that say I should be using the Droid 2 bootstrapper/recovery app and others that say Droid X. I've already paid for the Droid X app. Are they equivalent, or do I actually need to use the Droid 2 version on my X?

For reference, my current phone info is:
System version: Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android version: 2.2.1
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g55626e1

Thanks!

-Kevin

jasonD

Reaction score
If you do the OTA you will lose root. I did it. I cant answer question 2 and 3.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
jasonD is correct. If you take the OTA, you will lose root.

To answer question #2, yes, you have to go back to stock before you install a new ROM. And the way you do that is to SBF. There are limited circumstances under which you don't have to do this, but I've found that 95% of the time, if you try to flash a new ROM over the one you currently are on (and it's not stock) it causes a lot of issues.

Question #3: If you decide to stick with a FroYo ROM, the Droid X Bootstrapper is just fine. However, if you decide to move on to a GB ROM with the rest of us (heh) then you'll have to use the Droid 2 Bootstrapper, which you can find for free right here: Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap v1.0.0.3.apk

Now. As for recommending a better ROM. I would go with Liberty GB. The reasons are that there is no other relevant ROM out there that doesn't ignore major hardware features on your phone, such as HDMI. Liberty GB is also much more customizable than Apex 2.0. I also have never had better battery life than on Liberty GB. Note that Liberty GB has its own bootstrapper which you'll find in the installation instructions below should you choose to go that route.

You can find Liberty GB here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/151273-rom-liberty-gingerbread.html

And installation instructions from right where you are:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...-1-stock-apex-cm7-etc-any-rom-liberty-gb.html

And you can find themes, mods, help, etc. for it in this forum:
Liberty ROM DX

OP
K

kwebb

Reaction score
Thanks a ton!

I followed the guide you suggested and am up and running on Liberty GB 0.8! My phone says there's a 0.9 update, is that an official release or a beta/RC?

Reaction score
0.9 is available to those who pay for the ROM Toolbox on the market. It should be publicly available soon though. There aren't many changes between 0.8 and 0.9 though. Nothing of consequence to most people.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
jasonD is correct. If you take the OTA, you will lose root.

To answer question #2, yes, you have to go back to stock before you install a new ROM. And the way you do that is to SBF. There are limited circumstances under which you don't have to do this, but I've found that 95% of the time, if you try to flash a new ROM over the one you currently are on (and it's not stock) it causes a lot of issues.

Question #3: If you decide to stick with a FroYo ROM, the Droid X Bootstrapper is just fine. However, if you decide to move on to a GB ROM with the rest of us (heh) then you'll have to use the Droid 2 Bootstrapper, which you can find for free right here: Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap v1.0.0.3.apk

Now. As for recommending a better ROM. I would go with Liberty GB. The reasons are that there is no other relevant ROM out there that doesn't ignore major hardware features on your phone, such as HDMI. Liberty GB is also much more customizable than Apex 2.0. I also have never had better battery life than on Liberty GB. Note that Liberty GB has its own bootstrapper which you'll find in the installation instructions below should you choose to go that route.

You can find Liberty GB here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/151273-rom-liberty-gingerbread.html

And installation instructions from right where you are:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...-1-stock-apex-cm7-etc-any-rom-liberty-gb.html

And you can find themes, mods, help, etc. for it in this forum:
Liberty ROM DX

You don't have to sbf between flashing ROMs. Its unnecessary unless the ROM you are going to requires Froyo and you are on GB.

CM74DX