Creating wallpaper question

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Want to use one of my photos as wallpaper on my DI. Have tried various pixel dimensions (800 x 600, 640 x 480, 320 x 480, etc.) suggested on this forum, but the image always turns out to be way too large (i.e. it doesn't fully fit) on the screen. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is it necessary to change the image size in addition to the pixel dimensions??

baniels

Reaction score
960x800 might be the right res. I don't have the Incredible, but I found that by a quick google search - can't verify though.

The wallpaper size will never be fully seen on one home screen. As you will notice, when you scroll through your home screens, the background also scrolls (albeit at a "slower" rate than the home screen icons and widgets).

Does that help?

Want to use one of my photos as wallpaper on my DI. Have tried various pixel dimensions (800 x 600, 640 x 480, 320 x 480, etc.) suggested on this forum, but the image always turns out to be way too large (i.e. it doesn't fully fit) on the screen. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is it necessary to change the image size in addition to the pixel dimensions??

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
^^^

Thanks so much, Baniels. 960 x 800 ARE the correct pixel dimensions, but the image does not fit on the screen. That's interesting about the "scrolling", and I know that the image will never be fully on the screen, but I'm losing a LOT of the image...and I don't know why.

baniels

Reaction score
When you select a picture as a background, doesn't it let you reside the crop area? By default, the crop areas smaller than the image. If you slide the corner of the cropping box to the perimeter of your image, and if the image has the correct height/width ratio, the cropping box should fully encompass the image.

If that doesn't solve it, or if that doesn't apply in your case, please give more detail to describe your problem. Without details it is hard to know where the issue might be residing.

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
...If you slide the corner of the cropping box to the perimeter of your image, and if the image has the correct height/width ratio, the cropping box should fully encompass the image.

First of all, thanks so much for your continued input - it's very much appreciated. :) And thanks to mikejl as well.

I think I've resolved the issue (although I'm not completely thrilled with the 'resolution'!)

Yes, I had used the cropping box, and learned that its use will yield the properly proportioned/sized image without worrying about pixel dimensions. In fact, I had thought that if I kept the portion (i.e. pixels) of the original picture that I wanted on my screen within the perimeters of that cropping box, I'd be golden. What I've found however, is that because of the 'scrolling' phenomena that you mentioned earlier, some of the right hand side of what's in the box does not show on the screen. I guess that the only way to accommodate for this is by having enough of a 'margin' on the right hand side so that even though the entire image doesn't appear on the home screen (without scrolling to the next screen) the 'good stuff' still shows.

Whew!!!

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
By the way, mikejl, my late mother lived in Mission Viejo, and when I'd visit her we'd often go to Lake Forrest. Beautiful area!